Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stuffy Nose At Session End
Stuffy Nose At Session End
Based on input from you great folks, I have my pressure set where I’m routinely below 1 on AHI and RERA’s.  During this period I have also been battling allergy issues, causing sinus congestion.  I now also have that under control.  So for the past few weeks, I’ve been getting good sleep, except after about 7 hours I wake up with a stuffy nose.  It feels dry and packed,,,,no drainage.  When I get up and walk around for a while, my sinuses produce mucous and nose clears.

I have a dreamstation w/heated hose.  I have humidity set on manual, at 5 (max) and hose temp at 3.  I’m not getting any rainout.

So, I know these things are all personal, but is stuffy nose typically too low humidity, too high, nature of the beast after 7 hours of air blowing through my head???

Advice always appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stuffy Nose At Session End
Stuffy nose can be too much humidity but it can also be not enough humidity all you can do is experiment and find out if the humidity makes a difference
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup can be caused by either too much or not enough humidity.

Hose temp could be the issue too if your body doesnt like the higher temperature or temperature is set too low. I believe this made more of a difference on me than my humidity setting. 

A respiratory therapist told me indirect supply such as a nasal mask can be better than direct supply (pillows). I tried it but personally didn't notice a significant difference. The idea made some sense to me as pillows do create more of a stream of air that could possibly anger turbinates. Something to keep in mind and maybe try out if you cant seem to find a solution with the humidity settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often awaken with one nostril pretty much occluded, but I have awakened with a start and had to rip off my mouth tape because both of them had shut.  Things happen pretty darned quick after that...
Post Reply Post Reply
Too much or too little humidity being the common causes, yours is too much as you're already on the max setting.
Have you tried 2?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 231 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.