Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Subconscious Mask Removal
Subconscious Mask Removal
Hello, fellow afflicted!

I've been using my ResMed machine for nearly a year now, and I'm lucky if I manage 3 - 5 hours with my machine every night. I have been diligent about cleaning and wearing my mask (nasal) pillows but I have never woken up with my mask on. Sometimes, I do remember waking up in the middle of the night and take it off, but these are few and far between. I have managed 5 - 6 hours out of the recommended 7, but I'd like to make this more consistent. 

My doctor hasn't checked in with me since I purchased my machine, so I'm kinda on my own here. 

I'm a 26 year old male. Humidity is at 7 currently. Idk my pressure or how to find/change it. 

Thank you so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Subconscious Mask Removal
Taking off the mask is common. There's a few things you can do.

Attach the hose in some way so that when you do take it off, it stays near your head. The idea is for the sound of the air (or the sensation of it hitting you) will wake you. Make the attachment kinda complicated to undo so that you don't undo it in your sleep but wake yourself up.

Wear the mask with the machine on while sitting in the living room reading or watching TV. This gets you used to the feel of the air and all that. The more you do this, the more your subconscious at night will accept it.

Which machine do you have? Which of the Airsense? Look near the on button.

Do you have SleepyHead installed? If you have a data capable machine, consider installing it and using it to view your data. Also, with it, you can "turn off" those sessions where you wore it awake during the day. You can find SleepyHead info by using the link at the top of every page.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds familiar. I'm just recently ceasing to doing this. I've been on and off CPAP since 3/2015. In part, CPAP and BiPAP were just not right or good for me. I'm about one month in on my ASV as I've got Mixed apnea not just OSA. BTW mixed is obstructive and central apneas. Nonetheless, I formed a bad habit of taking mask off while in and out of sleeping, especially on the BiPAP.

My sincere advice is this:
1. don't quit
2. do your level best to put your mask on EVERY night, include filling the humidifier, and turning machine on here too
3 allow yourself leeway to do YOUR best even if you miss your "goal", not someone else's best but yours BTW
4. don't judge self too harsh if you can't get 8 hours in consistently, just see #1 again, NEVER EVER QUIT.
I know this is obvious, but if you quit, you cannot win. There's a rumor that this Apnea Board likes winners, so win. OK.

Coffee Coffee Coffee

Dave B.

PS PaulaO2 has great advice as well. Similar info passed on to me and others just like you. Sorry but this is one subject you're not rare or unique in...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SaucyRossi,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally figured out that the reason I was taking my mask off at night was because the pillow on one side of the 'pillows' was collapsing and I couldn't breathe. I am replacing my nasal pillows more often and that problem has stopped. I think it's a nose architecture thing. I have boiled my pillows and reused, but after about 3 weeks, back to the same thing. So, I now know I get 3 weeks, then boil, then another 3 weeks and throw. The problem was more frequent with the P10, but still happens with the Swift. I am a side sleeper and maybe this problem will stop when I replace my mattress next Spring.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,624 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation Wisdom tooth removal causes sleep apnea? esaulcatnas 0 338 12-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,533 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Cushion removal from the Mask giannie 7 4,097 10-05-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Simpsonn
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,220 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  ResMed AirSense 10 Disassembly and Modem Removal farnsy 18 12,678 08-13-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: damplc
  Mask Removal during night. Greg Schultz 8 812 04-01-2022, 07:45 PM
Last Post: David Clark

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.