Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden leak issues
Sudden leak issues
Hello,

I've been using a bipap for a year or two now and it's mostly been pretty successful after the initial adjustment period. I noticed a little bit ago that I wasn't quite feeling as well as I was and I think I've tracked it down to my sleep apnea. I noticed that my leak doubled basically overnight and has stayed high ever since. I've made no significant changes to my setup, sleep routine, or sleep environment. The only thing I've thought of that could've caused this is that I've lost 60 lbs in the past year. I tried adjusting the pressure a little, taping my mouth shut, and adjusting the straps again a couple times but I'm not sure how much of an improvement that made but maybe I needed to try the changes longer.  April 2nd is when the leaks went up. If anyone can provide any insight or suggestions on how to improve the situation that would be greatly appreciated.

I sadly can't post images or links yet as I don't have 4 posts..but will add them once I am able to.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden leak issues
Be sure your tape is effectively sealing your mouth.  I kept fooling around with different tape configurations until finally just using 2" strong tape and really sealing the corners of my mouth.  That made quite a difference with leaks.  I tried full face masks and all kinds of other methods to keep my mouth sealed, without good results.  Because I use a light pillows mask, I also dialed back my max IPAP a little to also reduce leaks.  That strategy seemed to work for me, as device algorithms will often push it to all the room you give them, even if it's unnecessary.

I'm a nasal pillows user, but it may still be relevant to you.  I've gone to different sizing to provide a better nasal seal, at times.  Also, I've found that the light (non-heated hose) has much less pull on some lightweight masks (depending on their hookup design).  

Leaks can never be overstated.  They significantly impact results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try to increase my efforts in making sure I tape my as best as I can. I'm using the same tape that I used for my first month of therapy so hopefully the type of tape isn't the issue. I also used to be a full face mask user but managed to switch to a dreamwear nasal mask with the help of taping my mouth though I haven't had to tape my mouth in almost a year.

I definitely agree that leaks should be taken seriously. Despite my AHI still being 1 or less most nights when I use my mask my life has been on a steady decline that is having growing negative impacts. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to sleep issues due to the different mental health disorders I have?
Post Reply Post Reply
Apologies everyone for double posting, I didn't see an edit button for my posts and wanted to see if I could try adding the pictures as attachments instead of links.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dreamwear nasal mask and weight loss you say? I have the answer.

Get the next sized headgear down - you'll be surprised how much you've lost around your head after 60lbs weight loss.

Doesn't matter how tight your straps are - if the mask can move around under your nose, it will never be tight anymore. It may not be obvious so follow me:

Try this right now - put a rolled up pair of socks under the top of the headgear while wearing it. Notice the difference and how loose you've had it since the weight loss?

Now duct tape the socks at each side of the vent hole to the top of the head gear until you can get the next size down.

I went from a medium to a small after 30lbs weight loss. I needed a good 1" padding underneath the top of the headgear until the next size down arrived.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 223 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.