Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden pressure jump - fixable? (ResMed)
Sudden pressure jump - fixable? (ResMed)
I'm using a ResMed S9. My data card corrupted a couple years ago, so I removed it and haven't replaced it, so I can't provide any data here, unfortunately. 

My problem is that the machine just BLASTS so strongly that I cannot use it any more. It went into blast mode a few months ago, and I quit using it until I could get it fixed or get a new one. Then I plugged it in "one last time" before going through the supreme hassle to get a new one, to see if it might work, and go figure - it was fine again!

So now I've been back on it for about a week. And last night I was using it, and during the night I had an itch on my nose, so I broke the seal of the mask with my finger to scratch it - just for a second - and the machine went into Leaf-Blower mode again, just blasting, and wouldn't die back down.  

I suspect there's a pressure regulator sensor or something that has failed, or is getting stuck, where the machine is improperly sensing exactly how much pressure it is putting out. I have no idea, and cannot find out anything about how to troubleshoot and fix this myself, if I can. I've had the machine for slightly more than 5 years. I guess I can get a new one, but as I understand it, I'll have an insane out-of-pocket co-pay that I want to avoid if I can. Do I need to just bite the bullet and ship the thing off, or is this something I can diagnose and fix myself?  I've combed the web for info, and have found nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden pressure jump - fixable? (ResMed)
It's hard to say anything without data. i have found that uncontrolled leaks can really cause "leaf blower" mode, particularly on Resmed machines. If you were recording data, or willing to start recording data again we could rule out legitimate causes of pressure increases before jumping to "broken."

If you are thinking new machine, I would go Airsense 10 Autoset and a good place to look is Supplier # 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Suppliers 27 and 28 repair cpap machines. You could ask about service as to whether your problem is likely a board problem or something else. Replacing a board for a machine that has over 15,000 hours is probably not worth it, but I don't know the pricing.

Since you have a high deductible, I would consider getting either a used machine (you can find low hours) or a script and buy from an online retailer. Some have open box policies that include warranty, so good if that is the way you want to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi illustr8r,
WELCOME! to the forum.!!
Which S9 machine do you have? I think the name is under the on/off button.
They have some good deals on either open-boxed, or gentally-used machines at Supplier #2. Hopefully, you have a copy of your prescription.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you with getting your machine problem straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2017, 07:55 AM)illustr8r Wrote: I suspect there's a pressure regulator sensor or something that has failed, or is getting stuck, where the machine is improperly sensing exactly how much pressure it is putting out. I have no idea, and cannot find out anything about how to troubleshoot and fix this myself, if I can. I've had the machine for slightly more than 5 years. I guess I can get a new one, but as I understand it, I'll have an insane out-of-pocket co-pay that I want to avoid if I can. Do I need to just bite the bullet and ship the thing off, or is this something I can diagnose and fix myself?  I've combed the web for info, and have found nothing.

If the above is true, there is little you can do about it. What the machine knows about pressure and flow comes from two pressure sensors. One located near the blower unit's outlet; and another just a little upstream with a coarse mesh separating the two. The downstream sensor is used as the primary pressure sensor. The upstream sensor is used in differential with the downstream to calculate flow. The mesh (or grid pattern) creates an impedance to flow such that the pressure differential is proportional to flow. The pressure sensors have no actual moving parts -- they are piezoresistive. So, they cannot get stuck.

Sometimes it's water that kills these sensors; but the H5i was well designed to help prevent water from backflowing into the blower unit. Getting the parts is nearly impossible.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
SD cards are fairly cheap.
What are the pressure settings on the machine? I don't know how to determine that on your machine, but it can't be difficult.
What about lowering the upper pressure? If that was set quite high, the machine may have decided you need the higher pressure now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't overlook that you can buy a new Dreamstation Auto on Amazon for less than the costs of repairs to your S9, about $340. Deals on the Airsense 10 are all over the place, and don't overlook the Craigslist ads for machines at $495-525 that are new. Double check, but most are legimate dealers offering equipment well below minimum advertised price and using Craigslist where the manufacturers won't yank their franchise rights.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 327 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 363 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 287 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,209 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,628 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Treatment] Sudden raised AHI Papageno 10 644 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Papageno
  [CPAP] Need some help if possible - sudden change in response from 4hrs to 1.5hrs usage OverflowingJoyEntity 6 485 11-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: OverflowingJoyEntity

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.