Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure?
[Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure?
24M, healthy and active, 160lbs and about 5'11, also have a pretty long and skinny neck.

**Been going on for ~2 years now**
Symptoms:
  • Terrible sleep, waking up multiple times a night and often struggle to fall back asleep.
  • Jaw Clenching
  • GERD
  • Neck and Back Pain, both skeletal and muscular. Only really noticeable at night
Diagnosis: 
  • Home Sleep test (WatchPat) came back with ADI: 0.9, RDI: 9.5 (remRDI : 17.0, NonRemRDI: 7.4)
  • ENT saw I had an extremely deviated septum blocking around ~80% of my nasal airflow

Treatment:
  • Got a Septoplasty/Turbinectomy/Nasal Stenosis repair ~2.5 months ago, breathing is 1000% better, but my sleep didn't really seem to improve much at all.
  • Currently on APAP, starting on 7min 20max, with an EPR of 3. No improvement after a week so I bumped it up to 8, then after another week currently up to 8.4.

Included OSCAR results from last night, First one is from the entire night, second one is a zoom in from just before my first wake up in the middle of the night ~2am. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure?
I would not continue to raise pressure. 
Your events are mostly central, so increasing pressure may worsen them. I would however try reducing EPR to 1 cm or even disabling it. 

If you've only been using PAP treatment for a short while, I would just give it some more time. You may be just experiencing treatment-emergent central apnea. Your data looks fine, but you may be able to reduce your central events a bit more.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [Supposed UARS] No benefit from APAP after 3 weeks, continue to increase pressure?
I wouldn't change a thing setting wise.
You do have a manageable mouth leak, consider taping.  This is evidenced both in the leak rate and the zoomed view you provided.

Because of your COPD I would, at least periodically, monitor your O2 levels over night as a precaution.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2022, 11:32 AM)Gideon Wrote: I wouldn't change a thing setting wise.
You do have a manageable mouth leak, consider taping.  This is evidenced both in the leak rate and the zoomed view you provided.

Because of your COPD I would, at least periodically, monitor your O2 levels over night as a precaution.

I actually do tape my mouth at night, but only a relatively small piece going vertically down the middle of my lips to hold them closed. I can try using a bigger piece tonight and see if that helps with the leak at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also here is my WatchPat home study I had done in case it may be of any use.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
there are two thing i would suggest turn epr down to 1-2 , try a full face mask if your not claustrophobic or a hybrid mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2022, 11:32 AM)Gideon Wrote: Because of your COPD I would, at least periodically, monitor your O2 levels over night as a precaution.

I think you may have gotten the COPD part from my signature. I do monitor my 02 levels though. 
I didn't see any mention of this in his post.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
You got me on that one (COPD)

I do stand by my suggestion for no changes, to not reduce EPR, at least based on the numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 936 6 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 157 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 61 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 132 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 617 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.