Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switching from Nasal to Full Face Mask
Switching from Nasal to Full Face Mask
Hi All:

I've been using a Respironics nasal mask with comfort gel for years. I always go to sleep with my mouth closed but lately I've noticed my mouth has been opening while sleeping so I've decided to try out some full face masks. 

First up is the Resmed AirFit F20 - currently with the silicone insert out of the box. I have a memory foam insert on order. 

Assembly and fitting was straightforward enough. But once it turned on, it felt like there was a lot more air pressure than with my Respironics nasal mask but no machine changes were made.

Is that normal for full face mask users? Any tips for transitioning and getting used to full face masks?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switching from Nasal to Full Face Mask
Trouble is if your jaw is dropping open a full-faced mask might not help, you might wake up with the bottom of the mask in your mouth.

It might be worth using a neck collar or a good chin strap if you were happy with the Nasal Pillows.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
+Did you change the CPAP machine setting from Nasal Pillows to Full Face Mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
I started to write you earlier and goofed up. 
Have a look at the Resmed SWIFT FX Nasal Pillow System. I've used it for many years now and it has drawbacks but they aren't as bad as Face masks.. Wouldn't be bad to give it a try .

No. I don't know if my CPAP even has an option.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 0 20 36 minutes ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 186 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 991 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Switching from Dreamstation to Airsense 11 rorielly 8 1,088 04-01-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Swaggy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.