Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional?
Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional?
This seems a little lengthy.  Sorry, but I thought I'd include some background.

Several months ago, i was disgnosed with AFIB.  Discussions with my cardiologist suggested the liklihood of years of apnea contributing to the heart condition and I was referred to a pulmonologist.  Along with this, an ICD was implanted.  Lo and behold... here I am.

I've been on BIPAP therapy for a little over 3 weeks.  I'm using a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, and a F&P Evora Full Face (hybrid?) Mask.  Initially, having struggled with a SM/MED cushion, I've switched to a LG and feel much more comfortable with the larger cushion.

Even though the Evora is considered a hybrid and covers my mouth, I still have problems waking up with dry-mouth.  I've upped my humidity level to 6, but I still feel the need to try to keep my mouth shut.  That's not always possible.

In addition, I had kidney surgery a few years ago.  I had some severe complications and couldn't sleep on my side for nearly 5 months, so I became somewhat used to sleeping on my back.  Since I've started therapy, I found I need to make a really conscious effort to sleep on my side.  But, I'm not sure if I UNconsciously revert to sleeping on my back and these OSA evets are related to my sleep position.

March 17th's OSCAR data showed two distinct "clusters" of OSA's.  The first was approximately 30 events over a half-hour. The next "cluster was 15 events over approximately 12 minutes.

Coincidentally, data from the previous week (03/10) revealed a noticeable "cluster" of about 30 OSA's over a period of about 25 minutes.

Would you consider the "clusters" of OSA events are due to my sleep position? As I mentioned, I try hard NOT to revert back to sleeping on my back.  There have been recent nights where I had very few or no OSA events at all.

Being a newb to OSCAR, I'm trying to learn if I can reduce apnea "events" and possibly improve on my overall health.  I had been reasonably active prior to my kidney event, but after that fiasco I kind of went into a self-induced shell.  I ate and drank too much, exercised too little and sort of self-destructed.  Now I'm paying...

Here are my charts for March 15th, 16th and 17th, 2024.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Positional Apnea and going for CPAP EddyDee 27 3,368 06-30-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu
  Clenching caused by Positional Apnea (or vice versa)? SteveIsTired22 2 187 06-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Positional Apnea or Something Else? MrIvanDrago 1 176 06-03-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Positional Apnea or Something Else? MrIvanDrago 2 183 06-03-2024, 08:37 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Is this Positional Apnea? charlie*M 5 316 05-16-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Health] Positional sleep apnea, please help me Fantasieimpromptu 6 489 05-09-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 940 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.