Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Dry Mouth
Dry Mouth
Hi Apnea Brain!

I just started with my machine a few weeks ago.
Still getting used to it as I tend to flop around when sleeping.

I am using pillows and have finally gotten used to them.
I cannot connect to the app so I put a SD card in last night and will start to grab data for the program recommended on this board.

My main issues is that I have an extremely dry mouth throughout the night. I have never snored and did not think I was a mouth breather, but I'm beginning to wonder.

It gets tot he point about 5 hours in that it is so dry that I'm "choking".  I take a swig of water that I keep by the bed and feel better.

As a newbie, anything I should look for or try?
I did a search but I cannot figure out how to search for "dry mouth" together and you need 4 letters for a search.
Mouth did not give me what I wanted.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth
Have you tried a full-face mask? If you're a mouth breather, that could be the answer. Alternatively, if you don't want to use a FF mask, you might have to use tape or a strap to keep your mouth closed.

How is your humidifier set up? Is it on manual or auto? How much water is it using overnight?

Dry mouth is a common complaint and, in some cases, cannot be 100% alleviated by the humidifier.

I have the humidity ramped up during winter, when it's dry here, lower in our humid summers. I nevertheless wake with cotton mouth occasionally, especially if my nose is even more blocked than usual (chronic sinus problems), making me breathe through my mouth all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2021, 06:17 PM)StevesSp Wrote: I just started so not ready to change yet from the pillows.
My humidity was set to auto, I did try changing to manual, but then ended up with water in the nose piece.
Instead of messing with it one setting at a time, I just put it back to auto.
I had it at "5" , maybe I'll just move it down a setting to 4 and see what happens.

Have you tried a full-face mask? If you're a mouth breather, that could be the answer. Alternatively, if you don't want to use a FF mask, you might have to use tape or a strap to keep your mouth closed.

How is your humidifier set up? Is it on manual or auto? How much water is it using overnight?

Dry mouth is a common complaint and, in some cases, cannot be 100% alleviated by the humidifier.

I have the humidity ramped up during winter, when it's dry here, lower in our humid summers. I nevertheless wake with cotton mouth occasionally, especially if my nose is even more blocked than usual (chronic sinus problems), making me breathe through my mouth all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your mouth is that dry you're most likely mouth breathing.

Quickest solution is getting some 3m micropore tape from any drug store and taping your mouth at night.

Otherwise you'll want a full face or hybrid mask. Some decent hybrid masks are the Resmed F30 and the F30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.
I just ordered some tape. Will be here tomorrow. I'll give that a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find this article 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5359345/
Post Reply Post Reply
I have terrible dry mouth and throat problems, both with nasal and full face masks.  I swear by Xylamelts (get them online) every night.  They stick to a back tooth or  the gum line and make it through most nights.  With a nasal mask I kept ice water by my bed--thermal mug with a long straw.  The link posted above was great for understanding what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same issue, my trap falling open in the middle of the night and waking to a very uncomfortable totally dry mouth. I tried the tape, mouth guard, etc, and a number of FF masks, the only thing that worked reliably was a simple, low cost cervical collar I picked up at the drug store. Completely solved. Might be something to add to your list.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've worn a soft cervical collar for the past couple of years, even with the full face mask.  OSCAR shows it helps with the mouth leaks but doesn't alleviate them--guess it doesn't matter so much with a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well .... that study was interesting but useless!

You can get saliva by rubbing your tongue around your mouth and teeth.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 155 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 917 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 126 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 665 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 225 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 378 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,282 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.