Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Nausea?!!
Nausea?!!
Help! I have been using a ResMed S9 Elite for about 2 months. When I was renting a machine it was the auto one. The one that I have now is not. When I first starting using it I woke up in the night several times with bad stomach pains and feeling very nauseous (to the point of ripping of the mask and running to the bathroom in a panic). I did not throw-up though. I notified the place that I am dealing with for my supplies and they contacted my doctor to get a subscription to turn on the EPR. This fixed my problem immediately. The other night we had a bad thunder/lightening storm that caused our power to flicker. My machine stopped and then started again. In the past, the power has gone out for quite some time and then I had to physically turn it on when the power came back on. For the last 3 nights (and feeling sick during the day) I have been waking with the nausea problems again. I looked into the features and it shows that the EPR setting is still on 3. Is it possible that the power outage has caused this to stop working even though it shows it is still on? Any help with this would be very appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nausea?!!
Cindy,

Power outages shouldn't reset your machine, but you can never be sure. Just like computers, several machine issues can be corrected by unplugging the power, waiting a minute, then plugging it back in (rebooting). I'm sure your machine uses a microprocessor, so it is a computer, and sometimes they just get confused.

By the way, check aerophagia (sp?), air in the stomach pushed in by CPAP pressure, in the forum wiki. It is a common side effect, particularly early in treatment, and may have something to do with your nausea.

Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cindy001, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum. I'm sorry you are having problems with your machine. But just hang in there and keep checking back and I'm sure there will be other suggestions as to how to help you. Best of luck in getting this straightened out so you can get back to sleeping well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your responses... I will look up the CPAP pressure thing and also try "rebooting" my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The nausea could be from aerophagia or swallowing of air. It can cause nausea and abdominal pain. It usually goes away in a few weeks.
The best thing you can do is elevate the head of your bed and don't eat anything especially spicy food 3-4 hrs before bed.
Its also one of the symptoms of GERD (acid reflux). Whats the AHI and leak average
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk...

My Leak Average says 7L/min
My AHI is 5.9

Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is OK and your leak is much better than mine even with a chinstrap. Try to download ResScan software (the download instruction is on the first page) It would shows more details for example the times of apnea events occurred and durations of each event in seconds.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-3-16-SP1
Post Reply Post Reply
I have downloaded the software but, I'm not too sure what everything means...
Post Reply Post Reply
But, first, you had to get your doc's permission to turn on the freaking EPR???

That's a comfort feature and has very little to do with treatment. Why would you need the doc's permission?

(going into my corner to fume for a bit)

Like zonk said, try raising the head of your bed a few inches. Take two 2x4s long enough they go from one foot of the headboard to the other, stack them together and attach them together, then place underneath those feet.

Some people have success sleeping in positions where the neck is not bent at all. Others have success, going to sleep with the head bent.

Try just one at a time for a week or so before switching to another means.

Also try anything for belching.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2012, 08:41 PM)Cindy001 Wrote: I have downloaded the software but, I'm not too sure what everything means...
On the first page of ResScan thread (post #4) SuperSleeper define some of the terms. Also you can check LINKS to Members-Only FILES (Private Files and Links) for more info. Take your time to read through, Don,t rush - There is no exam Smile

Data Management Guide
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ow_eng.pdf

ResScan Basic (scroll down to the 3rd video)
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

ResScan Tutorial
http://www.apneaboard.com/resscan.htm

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,234 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  Aerophagia and nausea rpierce 13 1,301 07-30-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Help with aerophagia and nausea during use of CPAP Naama 5 1,469 06-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Nausea, Sometimes Extreme- Cause By Sleep Apnea? JoeFromSD 21 5,013 09-20-2016, 06:12 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Was Nausea ever a problem? Gabby 20 6,815 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: zonk
  [News] UIC study: Can drug used for nausea in chemotherapy relieve sleep apnea Dreamcatcher 1 2,922 07-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Last Post: zimlich

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.