Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Periodic breathing
RE: Periodic breathing
Thanks for that. I just had a half hour nap with the new brevida mask that arrived this morning. It feels so much more comfortable to breath through than the dreamwear. I like the dreamwear but as soon as I put it on I feel as if my breathing becomes a bit laboured. I suspect at the medium size the air opening is a little small and it doesn't cover both nostrils. The medium wide is far to big and gives leaks. The brevida seems to be clearer and at even ramp pressure the pressure seems much stronger. Oddly after thirty min nap, on my back which is unusual as I sleep on y side, the AHI was 24 ?. 90% pressure at max. So I've now set it at fixed pressure of 9 with flex off. What's the difference between a flex and c flex?
Post Reply Post Reply
Aflex is available on auto cpap using auto mode and provides a pressure relief at both the beginning of exhale and beginning of inhale. Cflex only affects exhale. It is a momentary dip in pressure unlike Resmed's EPR which is a true bilevel implementation that reduces exhale pressure for until inhale is detected. It is mainly a way of rounding out the pressure changes. For some reason, complex and central patients seem to do better without either Flex or EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, learning a lot here. I had an echocardiogram done last week, not seen consultant yet but the technician said my left ventricular ejection fraction is preserved at 60% with very mild LVH and good systolic function. He noted some right sided enlargement and the report said right sided dilation. It says RV dilated with good systolic function. So I don't think any of that indicates congestive heart failure. I'm due for a catheter ablation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation next week and I'm on abeta blocker and flecainide (antiarrythmic). I've read that sleep apnea can cause right sided dilation and that it remodels after CPAP often.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleep rider, recent echocardiogram shows normal ejection fraction and mild right dilation with right and left good systolic function. So no heart failure. I read that right side enlargement is common with untreated apnea and often goes away with CPAP treatment. 

I tried a fixed pressure of 9 last night with the brevida mask I bought yesterday. I had a 30 min nap and AHI was 24 with no ca's just oa and hypopneas, then this morning after 6.5 hours of sleep it was 19 equally divided between clear, obstructive and hypopneas. It does feel like the pressure is higher with the brevida for some reason? . With the dreamwear and pressure at 9-11 my AHI was between 1.3 and 6.5 with an occasional 13/16.
Post Reply Post Reply
What percentage of periodic breathing should be a concern? I looked at an overview of my last 200 days and have had nights where PB is over 10% with a high of 18%. Looking at the graphs I'd say the average is 6%. Should I be concerned about this? I was recently cleared by my cardiologist of any heart issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
It might be a positional issue. Tucking the chin, for example, may increase apneas by bending the airway.

How do you sleep - on your back, side, stomach.
What, if anything, do you use to brace, support, or cushion yourself and how?
- pillow(s)
- neck collar
- other?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper, don't change position much, usually sleep 5-6.5 hours. Last night with brevida AHI was 4.5. Not sure if related but I've been on beta blocker and flecainide for past two months and started CPAP at same time. Yesterday an de today my waking breathing seems so much easier. Went back to apap pressure of 9-11 last night as well. Use a chin strap and tape.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,174 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 515 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 386 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 490 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.