Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking in air /bloating
Surprised 
Taking in air /bloating
I have only been using APAP for two weeks and in the second week began experiencing taking in air, bloating and stomach aches. Suggestions? The respiratory therapist / DME are closed for the holiday weekend. 
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking in air /bloating
akstella,

Welcome to the boards.

Swallowed air is called aerophagia.

Some people have it at higher pressures.

Did your pressure change, are you opening your mouth?

I have included a link for aerophagia and mouth breathing.

I can only suggest keep your mouth closed. Some people use tape.

Also search the boards, you may find some helpful hints.

I recently started having issues with it using (EPR) and Pressure Support (PS). I did not use c-Flex with my old APAP and learning to breath with two different pressures is challenging for me.

I noticed I had it when I had opened my mouth to let air out. I never thought of it before, I thought since I use a full face mask it would not be a problem.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Aerophagia

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply and the information. I appreciate the info. 
I generally keep my mouth closed and have used a small piece of tape as a reminder.

I have been turning the machine off when I get up in the night to use the restroom, that way it ramps up again rather than blasts me with a strong pressure. I really don't know my pressures...will be checking with DME tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Aerophagia without CPAP is associated with opening your mouth or mouth breathing. With CPAP, aerophagia is possible without opening your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply. I typically do not open my mouth. I use a night guard for bruxism and a small piece of tape from above my upper lip to below my lips as a reminder in case I do open my mouth. The aerophagia seems to occur if I resume CPAP at a high pressure such as if I take the mask off to go to restroom and put it back on at a high pressure.I am doing better when turning the machine off if I get up then letting the machine ramp back up to a higher pressure. Hope this makes sense. 
Thanks for your input!
Post Reply Post Reply
Akstella, some individuals are more susceptible to aerophagia than others, and the esophageal sphincter opens to the stomach with lower pressure. The trick is to find the threshold where the air does not get diverted into the stomach. Sometimes that means compromising between an optimum pressure for mitigating apnea and a more comfortable pressure that avoids aerophagia. If you will please post a chart of your therapy from OSCAR, we can see your settings and how you are responding to the pressure. Your profile indicates you are using a dreamstation 2. This machine does not have an effective expiratory pressure relief and is more difficult for individuals with aerophgia to tolerate than the Resmed.

Please download OSCAR from the forum and post a chart, or post your pressure settings and your median and 90 percent pressure during therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Just downloaded OSCAR but as yet I have no data. Will I get it from the DreamMapper App? I am trying to pair that with my Dream Station2 . As best I understand my pressures are 5-20 with a starting ramp at 4. 
I have had very little info from the DME/resp therapist so I may not be using the correct language. I do have an appointment on 12/8 to discuss.
Taking in air seems a quite a bit better but I continue to have a racing heart when I first start the APAP and perhaps I also hyperventilate.
Thank you for the support!
Post Reply Post Reply
We can help you to take control of your therapy, but you are going to have to do some homework. Request the setup manual for the Philips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP from Apnea Board by following these instructions: https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...manual#ASK The setup manual will give you valuable information about your machine and show you how to change settings. We need to know what range the machine is actually operating in to help you limit pressure to an effective therapy pressure, but one that is more comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2022, 05:56 PM)akstella Wrote: I generally keep my mouth closed and have used a small piece of tape as a reminder.

The earlier posted advice is excellent of course.  Also, have a look at your device's Leak Rate each morning to see if air is still escaping.  I thought with tape strategically placed, I was getting the best that I could achieve for me.  Then I went to a full-mouth tape seal.  I never realized that air was escaping through the corners of my mouth.  Even minor escape of air can throw everything off.  Adjusting settings without confidentally having the absolute minimum Leak Rate can be chasing incorrect levers.  I'm finally getting the best ever results at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see anything that shows leak rate though my machine says "good fit" for mask. Perhaps the DreamMapper app once paired will show a leak rate?
thank you
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Taking Home sleep test with snore guard HenryECole81 2 701 10-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: eok361
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 22 3,374 08-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Apnea45
  [CPAP] Taking a look at my chart :) hbvlr 1 450 07-13-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user keep taking off mask while sleeping hexlabsnick 4 606 06-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: hexlabsnick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.