Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Taking off my mask in my sleep?
Taking off my mask in my sleep?
I recently was diagnosed and got an Airsense 10. I've been using it for a couple weeks now.

I have consistently been taking my mask off in my sleep, and I don't remember doing it. I know I go to sleep with it on, and wake up with it off, but I don't remember waking up and taking it off.

Looking at recorded data in OSCAR, it seems to happen after wearing the mask for around 3-4 hours.

Has anyone dealt with this, and do any of you have suggestions?

I've tried sleeping with the N30 and and N30i so far, there doesn't seem to any difference in how long I leave it on my face.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking off my mask in my sleep?
Hi Andrew123! - Welcome

My first thought is, "Are you wearing the mask too tight?". Discomfort can cause a response to relieve the pain, even while asleep.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not wearing it too tight, or at least, it's not possible to wear it less tight. It's set basically as big as it can go, but I do have a large head.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not normal to wear a mask when you sleep. Give it some more time and chances are good, you will adapt. 

I was lucky! When I first started CPAP Therapy, all went extremely well from the 1st night on. No problems or issues. I'm well aware that's the exception and not the rule though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often remove my mask in my sleep. Many times it seems to be related to leaks - perhaps I wake up enough to be annoyed by that but in the morning I don't recall removing it.
No real advice, just keep trying and hope you get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have oily face. First using the full face mask. Not working, keep leaking air. I have tried at least 10 type of mask.

You have chosen the right mask for you. If you fell uncomfortable you will take it off while you sleep.

I using Airfit p10 for a few years. Try some of the different masks, but change back to P10
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Andrew  It wouldn't hurt to post some OSCAR charts in order to see what leads up to taking your mask off, or if there's some adjustment to your settings that might improve comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I took off my mask constantly in my first few months of CPAP therapy. It took me a good two months to be able to wear it through the night. Like people said above, ensure you have a well-fitting mask. You might have a mask frame that is too tight (or too loose) or a cushion that is too big. It took me a while to acclimate even with everything fitting. It's just weird to have something on your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. I was waking up with my mask off for a while (maybe a month ?).

It might just be the abnormal feeling of a mask (that will just take a bit more time), or it might be a reaction to the settings (that might be fixable with the advice available from the good people on this forum).
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that lying down on your back when sleeping can help and also not having the mask too tight. I originally had my Amara View mask way to tight and would wake up with my nose hurting and would take it off without knowing sometimes at night. This also would cause a large leak but now I am fitted with a full face mask and it has worked pretty well. I would suggest a different mask but it appears you take your off at hight without knowing which I don't think would help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 114 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 162 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 353 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.