Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Test Driving new masks?
Test Driving new masks?
Okay, I'm still new and asking lots of DME questions because it's my first rodeo, so bear with me.

I had my first compliance visit with DrSleep yesterday, and brought my mask just to show him how weird it fits me.  It works great, but I have a huge misshapen head, apparently?  Anyway, asked about eligibility rules for getting new masks, he said he had an F20 I could try.  If it fit, I could have it.  Cool!  Didn't like it much, but no cost to me, so no biggie.

There has to be a way to trial-fit masks without buying them, right?  I pay 50% DME, and certainly can't   toss money around.  Unfortunately, I live in a rural area of natural wonder and tiny villages, so the "local" Lincare office is not a happening place, and it's 25 miles away.  I have my doubts, but I'll call and ask about their options, if they answer the phone.  Meanwhile, just asking: how / where / how often can I try on a mask for possible purchase through insurance?  Or is it buy something, hope for the best, return for your money back?  That would suck...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Test Driving new masks?
The Sleep Apnea clinic I use lets me try the mask (in the clinic). Very important!!
You can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get ya the lightnin' will.
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance companies allow for new users to try different masks. Because it's so hard to find one that fits. Your equipment provider is obliged by its contract with your insurance company to provide a place where you can go for mask fittings and trials.

At least as far as I know, that's how it works.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Direct Home Medical gives you a risk free trial. I have gotten masks from them, used them for weeks, and returned them with no problem. Their full price is probably less than 50% of the DME price.
Post Reply Post Reply
In one of your sentences you say that a mask works great, but there are issues with your head shape.

Is it the actual mask or the headgear that is the problem?

John
Post Reply Post Reply
John:  Most definitely the headgear.  Top strap is too short.  F30 fits under the nose, and I've got the top strap down near my forehead to get the cushion down low enough.  I'm clueless about components at this stage, and I've joked about sewing an extender onto that strap.  I've wondered about trying headgear designed for other masks, but that seems unlikely to work.  After trying the F20, I'm even happier with how the F30 feels on my face, once I've got it in the right position.  But it comes in small and medium, so there's no large headgear I can order, which would probably solve my fitting issue.  Is there a workaround, some generic all-purpose strap contraption out there that I'm not aware of?
Post Reply Post Reply
On occasion I've zip-tied the "old" strap to a new velcro extension strap and pulled the zips real tight. This bunches the straps at the zip tie points but it works. You need 4 zip ties, 2 for each side. On my ESON2 mask harness sometimes the factory velcro rips off the strap - not glued properly. Stitching on an extender strap is not a bad idea since the tension is not huge. Fine stitches all around the overlap rectangle where the straps join. You also need a piece of "negative" velcro to attach to the "positive" velcro (hooks join to loops).
You can't go back and you can't stand still, if the thunder don't get ya the lightnin' will.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 95 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,610 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 132 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 880 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 865 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.