Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread
RE: The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread
Try those revised settings. Be sure to do something diverting while you use the machine. My guess would be you were hyperventilating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep Study was completed 3 weeks ago - results were as follows - definitely not ClearAirways ! :
  • Longest Apnea: 59 Seconds
  • Longest Hypopnea: 61.5 Seconds
  • Nadir with Resp Event : 78%
  • 5 Arousals secondary to resp disturbance - 0.6 per hour
  • 9 spontaneous arousals
    • Total Arousal Index : 2.4 per hour
  • AHI: 33.5per hour
  • RDI: 33.8 per hour
Diagnosis: Severe SA & Severe Snoring:

M; mid 40's; 6 foot (184cm) ; 240 lbs (108kg)

Dizzyness:
I didn't monitor O2 levels during that 20 minutes, no - had the finger monitor upstairs at the time, and frankly wasn't expecting that to happen so never thought about it.

I'd love to have an O2 monitor that integrates with the data going into Oscar - is there a recommended O2 Bluetooth sensor that I can get that would do that ?

Will try those settings this evening and will turn off the starting ramp aswell. Hopefully it will log correctly and I can get Oscar moving - will post tomorrow if I'm successful !
Post Reply Post Reply
A recording oximeter is a good investment.  Here is a list of a few that are supported by OSCAR.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Oximeters
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@dormeo

Thanks for the words - I do get the sense instinctively that "normalising" the machine to improve the adoption is important so I'll take the opportunity to use it watching TV for a few evenings before I brave a night with it to improve the likelihood of success and will report back here on the results.  I get the sense that some folks might hit the bed straight away for an attempt at and 8 hour shift and have varied results, so easing into it as it's a marathon not a sprint my be beneficial.

I'll try that for a few evenings just to get used to the sensation before I brave an overnight attempt and will report back once I've got to an overnight and have some OSCAR results to share from a full cycle.

There's a whole routine involved with this machine and I need to integrate it so it becomes both comfortable and normal - small steps.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK - Night 1 :->

I sat in the bed for 3 hours watching movies and getting used to having the machine on, then slept for around 3 hours.  

Humidity on, 
ramp off, 
IPAP 15, 
EPAP 7, 
PS 3 
as recommended.

I was awake until shortly after midnight, so everything on the report before 00:00 is me awake in bed.

While asleep I have memory of slightly waking and switching sides around 4 or 5 times, was back to sleep within seconds.

Also noticed I was slightly waking about 2 times with a very dry throat ( can't remember being so dry before ) and I did some swallowing with mouth closed to try to lubricate & clear it  - went back to sleep within seconds both times.

I eventually woke at around 330am and had bloating and a pain in my stomach which kept me awake until well after 5am - it was enough to keep me awake but not crippling. Put the mask back on for about 15 minutes after going to toilet.

Took the mask off at that point as I didn't want to increase the bloating and I'd put in 6.5+ hours at that stage.

Report attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's really interesting to see your awake breathing compared to when you actually fell asleep.  All the apnea occurred while awake and can be ignored.  You're quite good at holding your breath.  

The leaks look like you may have been mouth breathing, or your mouth dropped open (relaxed) while asleep.  It's not too bad, but you'll have to watch that.  The dry mouth is a result.  The leaks could be a combination of that and mask movement.  

The bloating is more of an issue as that causes a lot of discomfort.  It's called Aerophagia (The swallowing of air.)  

Due to the leaks and Flow Limitation, the pressure did rise to the max, otherwise it looks like it wanted to stay fairly low.  So work on the leaks.  You might have to either use tape on your lips, or use a soft cervical collar to keep your mouth/jaw from dropping open.  Even a small rolled up towel under your chin may help.

If Aerophagia isn't controlled, then we can lower the pressure a bit.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have me curious - what do you mean by "you hold your breath well" ?!

I suspected it was mouth open or mask moved out of position aswell that was driving the leaks.

I also noticed that the pressure was in the 7/11 region until both those leaks leak happened which drove it up to 14/11 & 15/12 and then slowly back down. .

Overall I'm interpreting the 3.42 AHI as a successful nights work, though the pressure may be too high and as it's reduced this may fluctuate until a sweet spot is found.

I'm also seeing that snoring was very infrequent which if accurate is a great sign.

I'll work on the mask fit to eliminate that from the equation.  I've actually got 2 masks - a Swift FX, and an N30.  Last night that was the N30, and I've not used the Swift FX yet.
I feel I should have got the P10, but will see how things go with these 2 before I proceed.

Meanwhile, I'll figure out how to keep my mouth shut - a bit of tape might do the job for the few occasions it try's to open itself.

The stomach bloating needs to stop immediately though as that's making it too unpleasant.

Will see how this evening's session goes as I try for a full night !
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2022, 11:44 PM)clearairways Wrote: You have me curious - what do you mean by "you hold your breath well" ?!

I'm looking at the "clumps" of apnea (CA's and Obstructives) at the beginning of the night where you said you were awake.  You said you were awake until after midnight.

If you were actually asleep, then I'd call it "positional apnea" or even SWJ (sleep-wake-junk - a period of sleep and awake which usually occurs at the beginning or end of a sleep).  

Otherwise, you have a good assessment of your night.  It's just a matter of dialing in the pressure range to promote comfort and sleep without Aerophagia.

A combination of leaks and FL drove the pressure up in the 14/15 range which can cause bloating and sleep disruptions.  It will be a balancing act.

Post a new chart when you wake.  We may need to lower the pressure a bit.  
The pressure going into the 14/15 range may not be helping with Aerophagia.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board Clearaways. Your first night of data showed a couple clusters of events that I think we won't worry about too much for now, but are probably positional, or what we call chin-tucking. The mechanism is described in this wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea You have a relatively high tidal volume and minute vent, and your inspiration time is relatively long, however we don't see much flow limitation. I'd like to see a close up of the respiratory wave to verify the flow limitation, so a random close-up or zoom showing 3-minutes of therapy should work to accomplish that. To accommodate your longer inspiration time without the machine cutting off the pressure support, you may want to increase the Ti Max setting to 2.8. It is currently at 2.0 seconds and it seems to decapitate inspiratory pressure in an unnatural way. I think you will find this more comfortable. Give it a try and post results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2022, 08:40 PM)clearairways Wrote: OK - Night 1 :->
I sat in the bed for 3 hours watching movies and getting used to having the machine on, then slept for around 3 hours.  
I was awake until shortly after midnight, so everything on the report before 00:00 is me awake in bed.

I would disregard anything before 00.00 as you were awake.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,198 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.