Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Most Likely Part Failure
RE: The Most Likely Part Failure
You can get surge plug ins to plug your electronics in at hotels/motels. Won't protect you against a near lightning strike, but it's worked well for uneven power and brown outs in cheap motels. I prefer a strip, but there are wall plugs that do the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider - I've experienced the same with the IPAP on the Respironics (DreamStation) vs ResMed. The too-early IPAP trigger makes me *think* I'm having an asthma attack. But I have finally stumbled upon a flex setting that doesn't do the too-early IPAP. Does your machine have those options?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can bet your boots it will either be the power supply, the motor for the pressure or the hose will tare in two.
All my machines have been motor failures (not a lot you can do about that) but I did have a hose split in two (twice) and with a bit of help from the chef at the hotel I repaired it with the cling film (I think you call it something else, but it is the thin plastic you wrap food in to keep it in the fridge), we cut about three inches off the end of a roll and used this to wrap around the hose. Then wrapped electrical insulation tape over the plastic film. Ok, it did bulge in places, but I had 18 of a pressure back then and it held for a week. I carry fuses and tape, an extension and a screwdriver with me. I would be stuck now if the power supply went or the motor, or even the internal fuse as it is tiny (though if I got hold of a soldering iron I wouldn't be after the next day.

Sods law, whatever you do not take with you is what will blow!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
We call it "Saran wrap" (brand name). But cling film perfectly conveys it.

That was a pretty smart fix!!

I carry an extension cord, too - very handy!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2018, 11:42 AM)Hojo Wrote: Wish you had sent an email, I'm not far from Columbia and could have gotten you a spare power supply.

We had settled down for the night after a full day of travel and a late dinner.  So the failure happened about 10:00 PM.  All considered there was no way to resolve this after the failure occurred, but I sure appreciate the offer. I think we would have stayed in the Columbia area for an extra day as we are looking at retirement options, but we did depart or home since being without a functional machine is very uncomfortable.  Thanks Hojo.  Really appreciate it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2018, 02:37 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Sleeprider - I've experienced the same with the IPAP on the Respironics (DreamStation) vs ResMed.  The too-early IPAP trigger makes me *think* I'm having an asthma attack.  But I have finally stumbled upon a flex setting that doesn't do the too-early IPAP.   Does your machine have those options?

I'm using BiFlex 1.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to our local DME today and picked up two new power supplies. Who knew they would only be $20 each? Cheap insurance to be certain we will never be unexpectedly without the machine again due to a failed power supply. The part was not under warranty more than a year, and the price on Amazon is nearly $50, so getting 2 for $40 seemed like a bargain.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
A Coffee salute on getting a deal like that. Was that a normal or sale price? Then again that price was for whoever your DME is. Hoping when I got funds to get a backup PS, so I'll be checking pricing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is their regular price (Hometown Medical / Dynamic Healthcare). They just don't mark up the price. $20 is cheap insurance compared to the alternative of being without a machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
That's fantastic!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 144 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 225 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,480 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 350 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,425 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe
  Alternative Part? sambo42xa 1 436 08-27-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: sambo42xa
  CPAP Failure, ASV Attempter, Still Failure ophiuchus 16 1,479 07-10-2023, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ophiuchus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.