Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The collar works for me!
The collar works for me!
I have been on APAP for about 20 years with AHI about 3 most of the time, sometimes higher or lower. Lately I had pretty bad flow limitations and RERA. The people on this site are the very best of us. I decided to try a soft foam collar and lucked out with one that worked for me perfectly - CORFLEX from Amazon. What a difference. My AHI is consistently under 1 and several nights near 0. RERA and flow limitations are dramatically reduced and, of course, I feel better. I cannot say enough good things about the collar. It just works for me. I am 6' 1" and about 250. I measured from chin to chest wall and ordered one. It feels like it is keeping my chin up, but it did not disturb my sleep. The velcro adjustment strap lets me keep it fairly lose on my neck. I highly recommend it for those who are guilty of chin tucking while sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The collar works for me!
I use a similar Core Products foam cervical collar.  Works amazingly well.  Remember to replace it with some regularity, as they do seem to wear out.  Found out the hard way, 8 months was too long of a replacement interval.  Collar was comfy, but didn't work.  Replaced it, and back to sweet dreams!
Post Reply Post Reply
thats great news! I just ordered one as well! sounds promising Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I'll take a look.
I'm using a Knightsbridge dual strap that solves my mouth-breathing problems (most nights!)
However, it does nothing to solve chin tucking the way I use it.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
The cervical collar is amazing, but I'm waking up with kinks in my neck. In the morning, I'm also finding I'm getting stiff necks. Have you guys had similar issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
All this talk about neck collars is intriguing. It has sparked my interest as well.

But.....my AHI #'s are and have been consistently low since having started therapy on Sept. 11th of 2018. Only once from what I can recall, was over 5, and that was my very 1st night of therapy.

They tend to run under 3 for the most part. Can I assume that I don't need a collar?
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHIs are consistent under 3, but I can get them under 1 with the collar. It doesn't seem like much, but I feel SIGNIFICANTLY better when I wear the collar. Perhaps it's just in my head?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad that you posted that! It's food for thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
We usually don't recommend a collar unless we see a clear tendency for clusters of OA or if we think leaks might benefit from the use of the soft cervical collar. It doesn't hurt to use it, but we are most concerned with cases where we cannot achieve good efficacy without it. Take a look at the soft cervical collar wiki in my signature links and you will see some examples of members with severe problems, that resolved with the collar.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started therapy with nasal pillows and worked well at first. The better I slept, the more it leaked. Got a chin strap and did better, but the better I slept the more it leaked. Got the collar and that worked best. It kept my jaw closed. But again, the better I slept, the more my lips started to leak. I have consistently gotten my AHI below 1 (median = .3) but while sleep has been good, I still wake up often (dry mouth).

Bottom line: Got a Airfit F30 and new collar. Only 2 nights in and the collar will not be for leaks as much as for positioning.

Yes, the collar has its uses for leaks and positioning.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 215 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 422 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 353 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 360 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 533 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.