Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The trip from ignorance and denial
RE: The trip from ignorance and denial
(11-20-2014, 06:50 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 04:53 PM)Peter_C Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 02:59 PM)Galactus Wrote: Hey you quit picking on my snail.

Hehe - "your" snail - what are we - going steady or something??

Dielaughing Dont-know Huhsign

Damn you! I thought we agreed to keep that our little secret. You said "Tell no one" and I haven't, now LUnsureUnsureK what you did!!

It's my meds - you know my memory isn't what it used to be~! I pormise not to tell anyone else...if I remember not to Oh-jeez
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Your posts have inspired me to share my story.

I was very stubborn, as with other Men I was in denial for 12 years. At that time I had a sleep study which showed I had pretty severe sleep apnea, 60 events a hour. At the time I was younger and thought I didn't need good sleep - duh.

About 4 years ago I began cycling and in this training process over two years lost about 40 lbs. Seemingly my apnea got somewhat better and I felt better. Probably mostly other physiological problems improved by my weight loss. I don't think my apnea got much better. At the end of last year my sleep became very poor. I just simply blew it off as additional job/family stress, etc. It wasn't, in April I developed Atrial Fibrillation (persistent). At first I also ignored the Afib as stress related but finally could not. I April I did a Century bike ride and noted that my heart rate was spiking up to 220 BPM (always wear HR monitor) had to quit at 40 miles, as was extremely tired. Normally my HR hovers about 140-160 when riding. Never go above 180HR. I knew something was seriously wrong, also had irregular HR, another duh.

Long story short - as I am rambling. Had a Cardiac Ablation of the pulmonary veins to stop my Afib at the end of July. This procedure has worked so far. My Cardio explained that the Afib was probably caused by the stress but more likely the Sleep Apnea. As the Apnea is very hard on the heart, by constantly hitting the heart with adrenaline all night long.

After a sleep study, before the Cardiac Ablation, which showed severe Apnea both OSA and central. My cardio didn't wasn't to proceed to fix heart until took care of Apnea. I began using my CPAP. What is amazing is the improvement in my sleep. From the first time I used the CPAP I have felt so much better. My advice is if you even suspect you have sleep apnea do not delay and get the sleep study done. If you need a CPAP please use it. Don't do what I did, it would have saved me $83,000+ for the Ablation and all the preliminary tests.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
It's interesting that your cardiologist did not suspect sleep apnea when he first saw you for Afib. My PSP diagnosed Afib and my cardiologist did some testing and told my pcp that i needed a sleep study. He was fairly certain that was the cause of my Afib.

I was also in denial about sleep apnea but wanted to do something about the Afib and so I slowly worked myself into full time CPAP use and then became a believer.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP or not on short trip? mcman56 8 993 09-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Compliance too good? Insurance Company denial letter Gideon 12 2,034 04-02-2021, 02:03 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Obesity, Pride, Ignorance, and CPAP Traumer 11 2,131 06-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My spouse is in denial readyforsleep 13 2,304 08-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: readyforsleep
  Medicare Denial Kidnap 91 17,934 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Kidnap
  Korea business trip trip report, machine died GeoffD 13 6,418 04-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Last Post: GeoffD
  what spares to take on trip? worn_out_in_lebanon 12 4,346 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.