Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

They’re threatening to suspend my driver’s license!
RE: They’re threatening to suspend my driver’s license!
First order is to send off the report you ran from OSCAR. With your situation with your Mom, I’d keep your lawyer since you’re less than week away. Your objective is to have the OSCAR report accepted or get a hearing.

Maybe you can make some calls on Monday for a DME that will run a report.

Hang in there!

John
Post Reply Post Reply
We just situated my mother in law in a memory care facility last month. Previously she was in assisted living and had to transition to memory care from a skilled care / rehab situation where she had become combative. Nothing easy about the process or price, but the staff and administrators at the new home are excellent and she is much better and safer now. I'll drop the name in case you're interested. Arden Courts is also in Pikesville, Kensington and Silver Spring MD.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow-up: I sent the OSCAR generated report to Maryland DOT in December.

The good news: they apparently accepted that report and I got a letter yesterday saying that I am allowed to continue driving.

The bad news: I must now submit a 1 YEAR BIPAP compliance report a year from now. I’m finding this unduly burdensome as a matter of principle. Previously, they took the word of my doctor that I appeared alert and fit to drive. It’s not like I’m driving a truck for a living and I’m not applying for a CDL.

Are other states getting this demanding with non commercial drivers?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow.  So you're saying they want to see a year's worth of compliance??  Seems like it'd be easier to just prove you're magically cured, and no longer have sleep apnea.

Just a curious question... If you used a dental appliance to treat your apnea, what could they require you to show?  Surely dental appliances don't spit out compliance reports.
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s a good question. I don’t believe a dental device would help me, since my apnea is severe. I need a machine.

I’m planning to write my state legislators and complain that the requirements are unduly burdensome and that I don’t believe that subjecting people to so much hassle does not enhance public safety. You’re more likely to be maimed or killed by a drunk driver than by someone who isn’t getting good sleep because of apnea.

Does anybody else know what other states are requiring?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's pretty brutal there, Cockatiel.

A daily breath-a-lizer slanted to CPAP is next I guess

good ole Demoncrat state of MD

I'm PA former CDL still running Class A, same fees as C class but I can drive an 80K pound combo vehicle with air brakes if I wanted to do it for free...there's not enough free coffee to make crawl up into the cab again.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To clarify: In no way am I recommending a dental appliance. I was just wanting to point out the potential hypocrisy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is a good thing to contact your legislators about being subjected to requirements that are typically put in place for those with a CDL. You may want to point out that you have not exhibited any daytime sleepiness while driving and have demonstrated that you have been compliant.

It seems pretty incredible that you have been singled out when there are thousands of Medicare patients the govt already knows about that are not required to provide compliance reports.

That said, I think this is a wave of the future and more states will require it.

In the meantime you do need to know exactly what the Maryland DOT compliance requires. Maintain the data and make sure you hit the minimums.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are stuck with this reporting. The basis for medical evaluations and self-reporting in Maryland are here http://www.mva.maryland.gov/safety/older...eofcontact  If you read who may make a referral to the Maryland Medical Advisory Board, it was most likely your own physician.  Self-reporting is not much of a burden, but it is a nuisance, and I don't know how you get removed from the list.  I would confront your doctor's office and see if they routinely report patients using CPAP therapy to the MAB, and if they do, then leave a review on social media to warn others.  This restriction is aside from requirements applicable to commercial driver licenses, and apply to all Maryland licensed drivers.  There is a pretty long list of conditions that can be reported:

Review and approval by the MVA's Driver Wellness & Safety Division and/or the Medical Advisory Board is required if a person has any of the conditions listed below which may affect their ability to drive. If someone has one of these medical conditions, they must notify MVA when the condition is diagnosed or when applying for or renewing a driver's license.

1. Diabetes that has caused a low blood sugar episode requiring assistance from another person in the last 6 months;
  2. Epilepsy;
  3. Seizure;
  4. A heart condition that has caused a loss of consciousness in the past 6 months;
  5. Stroke;
  6. A condition that causes you to have dizzy spells, fainting, or blackouts;
  7. Sleep apnea or narcolepsy;
  8. A history of traumatic brain injury (TBI);
  9. A condition that causes weakness, shaking, or numbness in the arms, hands, legs, or feet that may affect your ability to drive;
  10. A hand, arm, foot, or leg that is absent, amputated, or has a loss of function that may affect your ability to drive;
  11. An eye problem which prevents a corrected minimum visual acuity of 20/70 in at least one eye or binocular field of vision of at least 110 degrees;
  12. Alcohol use problem;
  13. Drug use problem;
  14. A mental health condition that may affect your ability to drive;
  15. Schizophrenia; or
  16. Dementia.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 05:02 PM)Cockatiel Wrote: Like an idiot, I self reported my condition to the state DOT. In 2016.....

As the saying goes.... "Never volunteer information...."

Many states have some type of requirement for medical restrictions.  "Corrective lenses" is one of the most common, but the list(s) have been growing over the years.  Previously it was usually only CDL drivers and Pilots who had that burden but now they seem to be going after everyone.  But it's only once a year reporting similar to  CDL and FAA requirements.  I don't personally know of any Dr that has ever reported someone, other than for dementia or age related only because the patient would be a hazard behind the wheel.  If Dr's started reporting everyone who had a condition on that list there would hardly be anyone left on the roads!

You would need to check with the compliance office and see if they will allow you to be taken off the list.  They may allow it if you can show a history of PAP compliance, and maybe a current letter from your Dr stating that you have been compliant for XX years.  Never hurts to ask....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Im a cdl driver they said i have to have at least 4 hours of machine and 70% denarmy 15 3,405 10-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Last Post: foss
  [News] Traveling with CPAP - advice from a long-haul truck driver ApneaNews 4 3,308 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Did you have to report your Sleep Apnea to renew your driver's license? shawn42 33 9,417 07-17-2016, 04:09 AM
Last Post: Dafod
  im a trainman not driver but.. cheesedips 5 3,950 05-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Last Post: cheesedips
  Some Australian Doctors see the problem with Driver Reporting Moriarty 30 10,430 01-04-2014, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Moriarty
  There is at least one Truck Driver here Tiny 4 2,526 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Tiny
  [News] Commercial Drivers Understate OSA Symptoms for Fear of Losing Their License ApneaNews 2 2,769 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Moriarty

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.