Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how
Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how
I was recently diagnosed with OSA after being referred by Urology due to having to make multiple bathroom trips a night. Other than that, I was experiencing none of the more traditional symptoms one thinks of when talking about sleep apnea.

I was diagnosed with OSA with an AHI of 20.9 with all events being hypopneas with the exception of a single apnea.

After being on CPAP for a few weeks now, nothing has changed. Things are actually worse since I have a harder time getting to and staying asleep because of the CPAP equipment.

I understand that even though I am not experiencing a total blockage of my airway, that the hypopneas I'm experiencing can lead to some serious health issues in the long run. What frustrates me is that a person who is experiencing apneas is going to notice obvious results. They're going to stop waking up gasping for air, they're going to get more sleep, they're going to feel more rested, etc.

For someone experiencing hypopneas, it seems to be more of a "trust us, this is good for your health". The only possible effect I'll notice is maybe eventually having to make less trips to the bathroom at night.

Right now I'm at the point where I'd rather just deal with using the bathroom and as far as any potential health issues later on, if it happens it happens. I'm obviously frustrated with the hassle of this treatment and that's why I'm wondering what motivates people with hypopneas to keep going and what benefits they see from CPAP?
RE: Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how
Please download and use OSCAR - it is totally free at the top of the site. Post a night or two set of charts and we can help.

You asked about Hypopneas not apnea --- Obstructive, Hypopneas, and flow limits are all apnea there is no difference only the amount of blockage and amount of \time while having an event. How they are classified and timed are in my signature.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
RE: Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how
I'm confused by your reply. I have been diagnosed with OSA but my events are Hypopneas, not Apneas. My understanding is that Apneas are a total blockage of the airway resulting in a pause in breathing and Hyponeas are a partial blockage resulting in shallow breathing. I do not snore, I do not wake up gasping for air and I am able to get plenty of sleep and wake up feeling well rested.

The point of my post was to get some feedback from others that have the same symptoms as I do because as it stands, I just don't see the benefit of going through the difficulty of trying to sleep with a mask strapped to my face. For people that stop breathing at night, of course it makes sense, but if the only thing I risk is a slightly elevated chance at some medical concerns and extra trips to the bathroom at night, is it really worth it?

As for Oscar, I'm on a Chromebook so that's going to be a little tricky. I know I can get Linux running on my device but I would also need to get a SD card and reader and hope everything worked.
After thinking about it a bit, I have no desire to download and share my data. I am under the care of a doctor, I'm not going to take medical advice from the internet. I came to this forum looking for opinions from people who have the same symptoms as me but after looking around this place for a bit, it seems that everything revolves around people posting their data so some internet wannabe can provide medical advice.

No thanks, I'll go ask my question elsewhere.
Your sleep|p is being disrupted on average once every 3 minutes all night long,. This has the effect of not allowing enough of the deeper sleep which the body uses to repair itself. You mention frequent urination which is a symptom of of your body not getting enough deeper sleep to restore itself.

You mentioned only hypopneas are occuring. I also assume this includes flow limitations.

I assume by your above statements that you are willing to to take years off your life rather than use a CPAP.

On many ways sleep apnea, OSA is like cancer in that pretty much no one does of cancer, they die with cancer with the actual cause being some organ failure or another.

Question: Are you properly treating your hypopneas? Are you utilizing differential pressure between inhale and exhale? When do your hypopneas occur during the night, please list the precise time of each occurrence so we can see if you can eliminate them without CPAP.

The reason most of us here want to see the data is that we prefer to provide answers based on data and not guesses, even if they are educated guesses. I assure you it is not trying to be some medical wannabe.

The choice is yours and yours alone
(04-23-2023, 10:32 PM)jz68 Wrote: No thanks, I'll go ask my question elsewhere.

No problem.  This isn't a prison, so you're free to go.  Thanks for letting us know so that I can close this thread to new replies.

~ Thread Closed to New Replies ~
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 601 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 420 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 103 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 196 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.