Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Throat feels like it's closing after starting CPAP
Throat feels like it's closing after starting CPAP
Hi all,

I've been using a mouthguard for the past five years. Recently decided to pick a CPAP up to see if I could get better results.

It's hard for me to fall asleep but once I'm sleeping, I feel like it's deeper. 

During the day I feel a tightening in my throat and feel a little air hungry. Is this a common feeling? Do others experience this?

Best of sleep to you all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Throat feels like it's closing after starting CPAP
CPAP should not be a factor in your voluntary awake breathing. I'm not aware of this being a documented issue. Positive pressure maintains your airway when you sleep and makes it easier to breathe, so it's not out of the question that you may feel respiration takes more effort as you adapt to using pressure at night. It should go away soon.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may just be paying more attention to your daytime breathing, given your nighttime use of CPAP. Another possibility is that your chest muscles are a little sore from exhaling against pressure. Either way, the sensitivity should go away pretty soon on its own.

Glad to hear you're sleeping better!
Post Reply Post Reply
Appreciate the responses. It does seem like my airway is being flexed open a bit more when on CPAP so that makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tiredguy1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you had an official sleep study? 
What machine are you using and what type of mask?
Are all of the parts (machine, filter(s), tubing, humidifier if equipped, and mask new? If so, are they clean?
Are you using humidification? If so, are you using distilled water or tap water?
Do you smoke anything or live with a smoker?
Do you use nasal sprays?

Will be able to narrow down your issue after more info  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an official sleep study. The original doctor I was working with moved out of the state so I don't currently have a sleep doc.

I have an AirSense 10 with humidifier and an F20 mask. I bought is used but it was professionally cleaned.

I use tap water which is probably not ideal. I live in a big city and the water is quite clean but I know it's not ideal.

The user, Bonjour helped me analyze some OSCAR data, I'm going to try a few things and see if it makes a difference.

Appreciate all your messages!
No smokers in the house! I used a little Nasacort when I first started. Didn't seem to make much of a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just thought I’d offer, I have used tap water since 2008 with no problem. Dump water in the morning and if you have time to wipe it out with a towel you will never have deposits or infection. Secondly, you can’t go wrong listening to Bonjour. If you’re really lucky he might talk about beer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BEER, did someone say beer?   like
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a few different IPAs last night, probably didn't help my sleep apnea...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 669 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 422 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 287 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.