Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tips for adjusting chin strap?
Tips for adjusting chin strap?
I've been mouth taping with 3M micropore tape for almost 3 months now. Lately I've been having issues with the tape working its way loose and causing leaks in the second half of the night, resulting in me waking up because the back side of the tape is soaked.  So I decided to try a different approach and bought a chin strap - it's a Spirit Medical strap with velcro on top and in the back.

I experimented a little bit with it this morning, but when I make the straps tight, it causes pain in my upper jaw and behind the eyes.  Loosening the straps eases the pain, but then it feels like there's not much resistance left.  So my question is how tight should the straps be to prevent leaks during the night?  Should you still be able to open your jaw a decent amount with effort, or should it be a tight fit?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tips for adjusting chin strap?
I can't really advise on how tight or loose it should be, but some chin straps tend to pull the jaw back instead of up, so you may want to be aware of that.  A strap that pulls the jaw back can cause jaw pain over time.  

A few members here have tried the "Knightsbridge Sleep Solutions Chinstrap" sold at
Supplier #37.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me a chin strap was useless , I had a respironics one and the Knightsbridge.  Both worked good to keep my jaw shut but did nothing too keep my lips closed and not vibrate make noise.  So it was a full face mask. 

Opal rose mentioned some steps put pressure on jaw and even pull it back.   Something along that line. 

If your having jaw pain you may need a different one.  That point I'd suggest something like the Knights bridge. Or look at the Philips respironics ones . You want vertical pressure to hold the jaw shut but not pressure you jaw joint.
Post Reply Post Reply
@OpalRose @Bluesv6

Thanks for the input, I'll look into those straps.  I used my current strap last night as tight as what was comfortable, and the results were pretty bad:

Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers aren't bad ,just your leak rate is high. Definitely mouth breathing . For me a chin strap holds the jaw shut and does nothing to keep your lips closed. Which i touched a bit on earlier.

Personally I'd look at taping or go full face mask . If the tape is getting wet and coming off then I'd maybe try lowering humidity of you haven't tried that. Also google coverall stretch tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem, too much moisture caused the tape to loosen.  I began using 4" surgical tape from amazon and that works quite well.  But I subsequently found that a chin strap also did the trick.  I use a simple chin strap which is advertised on amazon as a "like ResMed chin strap.  From my DME supplier the code is SP-CHRES.   It needs to be tight but not painfully type.  I think the idea is to keep your jaw from dropping, not to keep your lips sealed.  I used both for a while but later found that the chin strap was enough.  Good Luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before trying a different strap, I decided to try some Walmart brand kinesiology tape and I've been very impressed with the results so far.  Once I got the sizing right for each strip (about 1.25" x 3.5", or 3 squares x 9 squares on the markings), my 99.5% leak rate has been at zero the past 3 nights, and that's with about 10 days of facial hair growth.  Sure beats having to deal with a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have not tried it, give a soft cervical collar a go. Takes a bit to get used to it, but it helps correct not only mouth breathing but also positional apnea. It takes a few tries to find one that works well, so when you do best to buy a few for backstock. 

This is the one I use https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...-Neck-Rest. I find it lasts about 3 months and have learned that once I see leaks increasing it is time to change the collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad you found a solution that works for you !
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does an overhead strap bother anyone else? Cape67 2 140 07-17-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Not adjusting to cpap. time for Bipap? Technica34 2 144 07-16-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Looking for Tips on Using Data to Optimize My Sleep Apnea Treatment woives 10 385 07-15-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: woives
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 74 4,313 07-02-2024, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Been reading and adjusting, ready for advice killoda 4 247 06-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Chin Tuckers Hrdhittin 15 1,041 06-18-2024, 06:47 AM
Last Post: mstar
  Desperate for help adjusting my settings before I see my doctor tomorrow goodbenefit 15 524 06-14-2024, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.