Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Titration Assistance Needed (Kiwii)
Titration Assistance Needed (Kiwii)
I have been at 6-13, ps 3 for 4 nights.

I will be seeing a new doctor in 2 weeks. My settings are being pulled up from the 4-10, ps 4, which was the original doctor's response to "taking the edge off the aerophagia" occurring at 5-20, ps 4 (history: earlier charts; seeing new doctor). At the lower setting, it felt as if there was not enough readily available air. Btw, SleepyHead revealed that the worst aerophagia was occurring at the initial erroneous setting of 5-20, ps 5.

I feel pretty good now and this morning I even have some energy for the first time in years. However I can see on the graphs (or think I see) that the minimum EPAP is set much lower than what I actually use. Also it seems to be defined by the PS (Max IPAP - PS = Min EPAP) rather than the setting.

How do the min EPAP and PS look at the current settings? Is this something that needs adjustment? I would very much like to be dialed in to something reasonable before seeing the new doctor. I do feel better at these settings, but somehow suspect that the charts are screaming for refinement. Your help is much appreciated!

Last night's chart (woke early but stayed in bed):
[Image: ON5oS7Ml.png]

The previous 3 nights (NOTE: 9/26 was the last night of needing to roll over to turn off the machine):
[Image: J7uQnJKl.png]
[Image: 1OyoSlUl.png]
[Image: RaaY4scl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Titration Assistance Needed (Kiwii)
KiWii, a simple rule for VPAP titration is that EPAP is used for treating OA, and pressure support treats hypopnea, flow limitations and inspiratory snores. You are doing pretty good, but could use more EPAP pressure to reduce the OA. There are a couple ways to approach this.

One option is to increase EPAP min and allow IPAP max to also increase, leaving PS the same. This would eventually move EPAP into an effective pressure to eliminate most or all of the OA events. The risk is that pressure could rise high enough to cause aerophagia again. It appears you have adapted to the therapy and no longer have a high risk of aerophagia as you did originally. So using this option, your settings could change to EPAP min 8.0, PS 3.0, and IPAP max 14.0.

Another option to consider is to still increase EPAP, but reduce PS. This will keep IPAP pressures lower while treating OA. The risk here is potentially a decrease in comfort and increase in H events. Using this option, you would again increase EPAP min to 8.0 and decrease PS to 20. IPAP max could remain at 13.

Both options give you an EPAP maximum of 11.0 cm, but have different IPAP pressures at maximum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the charts since changing to 14/8, ps 3, and eager to here thoughts/opinions. I'm thinking to leave it at these settings for a bit (unless advised there is some reason not to).

Not the best of sleep due to pillow problems, but I'm working to get that resolved. There seems to have been an increase of CA's, although I wonder if some of that could be from the poor sleep positions...? Currently using a bolster pillow while researching buckwheat pillow suppliers.

There has also been a return of aerophagia, as evidenced by some flatulence and abdominal distension. I'm willing to deal with it for now (it's not painful like it was before) and see how things settle out, unless there is some pressing reason to make another change.

10/2 - first night being aware of mask leaks - I was actually awake right after that, and I suspect the group of events around 3am was while awake:

[Image: ZiRbtC8l.png]

10/1:

[Image: WXcAt4ql.png]

09/30 - First night of changes; first night of bolster pillow (delightful! Too bad the following nights on bolster sucked; just couldn't find a good position):

[Image: jtqt3qMl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using a Cervical Collar?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2017, 08:53 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Are you using a Cervical Collar?

Hey, that was my question!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lol! Great minds think alike, apparently. Too-funny 

No, no cervical collar. But the bolster pillow puts my neck more in alignment than it has ever been before.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just fyi, I had bought a cervical collar online but it was much too big and too hard (described as small size and medium density).  I may rip it apart and remodel it. 
But I saw a childs travel pillow (small, soft, cheap, washable) at a dollar store.  The first night I used it, the AHI was 0 (!!!).  Not to be repeated, alas, but a lesson to not underestimate the impact of sleep positions and/or chin-tucking.  

Keep at it, you'll get there.  

Post Reply Post Reply
I know the Cervical Collar made a big difference for me. The clusters you see of OA's indicate positional blocking of the airway.
If your concerned about fitting size most drug stores carry them. Just go to one and try them on before buying.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Are you guys side-sleepers? I am, and I do think I'm prone to tucking my chin down. hmmm.

Walla: I'll need to order one from Amazon to get sizing options. I haven't had any luck in the local stores.

Corvette817: That's a great idea to modify the collar that doesn't fit!! I may give that a try tonight, assuming I don't find one that works while I'm out shopping today.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 164 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,062 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.