Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To C-Collar or not to C-Collar
To C-Collar or not to C-Collar
I'm going to toss out something I have noticed about ME that may have no bearing on anyone else.  It was over a year ago when I started using a PAP machine.  It turned out that I could consistently better my (obstructive) AHI count by just putting up with a collar.  I was/am a mouth breather and had to use a full face mask.  I found that my sinus were more prone to open as time went by and concentrated more on breathing through my nose.  Still I wake up with a dry throat sometimes which would indicate at least some mouth breathing while asleep.  I have recently experienced a long run of nights with no collar and consistent AHI readings between 1.09 and 2.73 most to the time.  For me on a bi-pap that is fantastic.  It amazed me that this was being accomplished with no collar. 

It appears the treatment has become more successful with time passing and more concentration on breathing through the nose.  Hopefully it will continue.
Just a F.W.I.W. observation and probably just me Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To C-Collar or not to C-Collar
No two people are the same, what works for you, go with the flow.
What works for you might not work for others.
I have found that if I use a collar my AHI shoots up!
Using both the collar and a chin strap makes little difference, but the chin strap (it is a good one though needs replaced) gets best results.
Though lately I have had poorer results dur to the chin strap falling to bits.

What ever works for you, go for it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting - yes each person is unique-
for me, wearing the chin strap, it would get out of place during the night along with the headgear moving out of place and so difficult to get both adjusted- I just started wearing a c-collar and I find it works very well for me, my headgear on my mask stays in place and I sleep better through the night. last night was my 2nd night using the c-collar and my AHI was 0.
these 2 days I have also felt more energy Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The chin strap I have goes over the top of the head and round the back of the head.
Once you get it adjusted (might take a few nights to get it right) it will stay in place, however, it might not be so easy to use if you have a full-faced mask.  I have nasal pillows and keeping air from escaping out of my mouth is my biggest problem.  I did conciser taping my lips shut, but decided against it.  The Chin strap stops me opening my mouth as I have it quite tight, the headgear of the mask goes to the front of the strap that goes over the top of the head and the rear strap goes down the back of the strap of the headgear that goes round the back of the head.
I found the collar to restrictive and it did not stop me opening my mouth slightly or worse, my lips letting out lots of air.

I got the chin strap from China of all places, had to wash it is salt as dye came out of it, but after that it was fine.
I ordered two, one was thin and stretched too much, the other was a bit thicker and had the strength to hold my mouth shut (the other half say that is a bonus, no idea what she means lol) but it split at the chin where it was stitched, so I had to put a bit of material across it, after that
it has worked well.  I need to get another very soon.  It has lasted two years, more that the one I got from the Sleep Clinic, it lasted two weeks and was useless.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The point I was expressing was exactly that.
Everyone is different AND What works for you may change dramatically as you proceed.
Anyone is foolish to think what is good for one is going to be good for them. (or anyone else for that matter)
My statement was intended as informational for new people floundering for relief.
Post Reply Post Reply
due to the way I'm made I have to tighten my c collar pretty severely around my neck to keep my chin from going under it. I don't see an increase in ahi but I have an idea that it might be increasing flow limitations. for me it's a necessary trade-off because I haven't found another way to reduce lip leaks and event clusters.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm wondering if by long term use you have trained yourself not to chin tuck and therefore don't need it any more for that reason ? I do find that I now constantly sleep in the same position that seems to work for me so wondering if eventually I too will be able to do away with the collar.

My thinking its if you can train yourself in the tongue position thing then why not this ?

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2019, 07:26 PM)Technopauper Wrote: I'm wondering if by long term use you have trained yourself not to chin tuck and therefore don't need it any more for that reason ? I do find that I now constantly sleep in the same position that seems to work for me so wondering if eventually I too will be able to do away with the collar.

My thinking its if you can train yourself in the tongue position thing then why not this ?

Rob

Dont-know "Dunnoh?"  I'm thinking that after the 'ole body "heals" from years of sleep deprivation and acquired bad habits the system starts making adjustments to compensate. Either consciously or subconsciously..

But the tongue suck- thingie IS a huge waste of time with me, but it works for others and they do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using a collar not too long ago, due to advice here. I was occassionally have major repeated OA's all in a row, causing stress on my heart. I'd wake up tired, and also went into AFIB once. And I had AHI < 7. If I sleep on my back, I must wear a collar, or somehow I tuck my chin or bend my neck and it causes those repeated OA's. Since wearing a collar, chin strap, and also "ResMed Narval CC" dental appliance, my AHI is now down to zero most nights. I finally sleep as good as I can.

But the damage has been done, since I've had two DVT/PE's (blood clots in lungs), and now my SpO2 only goes up to 94-95%. And I'm only 47yo. I wish I would've got my BILEVEL machine and started therapy 10 years ago, when I started noticing issues with my heart. But no doctor ever mentioned to have a sleep study at that time.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
Spurred on by this post I decided to re-try the Re-leaf collar which previously didn't work for me and resulted in a much higher AHI than the harder collar I'd been using ..........guess what, no bump in AHI, granted now on ASV but still......

Thinking I've re-trained myself out of chin tucking, will give it a while and then try without a collar to see what happens - thanks for this as the Re-leaf is much more comfortable

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 228 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 553 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 428 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 3 362 02-10-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 363 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Need advice with soft cervical collar DackJaniels 7 536 01-26-2024, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 374 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.