Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tongue position and apnea
Tongue position and apnea
I’ve had undiagnosed, but undoubted apnea for years. Dad used a first gen CPAP brick, and as a widower, I found the idea of dating again with something like that horrifying.

I tried very hard to manage it with alternate techniques, and one of the more important factors was keeping my tongue forward. I found tongue advancement to be far more effective than mandible advancement, and I even practiced during the day, keeping my tongue forward and lips closed.

Unfortunately, I’m too good at getting out of the gadgets in my sleep, and my fiancee, a nurse, said it was time for me to try modern CPAP.

From reading here, it seems like the tongue trick to prevent airflow in the mouth is very beneficial. I’m confused though. Even breathing through my nose with lips closed, I breathe much better with my tongue forward and not sealed against the palate. I understand why pressure loss through the mouth is bad, but I also want the airway open. What am I missing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tongue position and apnea
What's the question?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2019, 11:20 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: From reading here, it seems like the tongue trick to prevent airflow in the mouth is very beneficial. I’m confused though. Even breathing through my nose with lips closed, I breathe much better with my tongue forward and not sealed against the palate. I understand why pressure loss through the mouth is bad, but I also want the airway open. What am I missing?

If you have a problem with mouth breathing, then the “tongue trick” would be beneficial if you can master it.  By using the Tongue Suck method, you are not in any way blocking your airway.

Reading your post, it doesn’t sound to me like you have an issue with mouth breathing, so if you are successful with keeping your tongue forward and keeping your mouth closed, then there’s no problem.  
But if you are letting air seep out your mouth most of the night, then you have to realize that your are not getting the best treatment from your Cpap, as the purpose of the air pressure is to splint your airway open.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have a problem with mouth breathing, and have an Eliminator collar arriving tomorrow. I also got both P30i and F20 masks, so I have a fallback.

I’m hoping I can “eliminate” that in the future by practicing the tongue suck method. I guess I’m confused about how to position the tongue to seal off the mouth without the base of the tongue receding too far back into the airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal Rose, if a person is using a full face mask there will be times when the persons mouth will be open during the course of the night.  But the person is still getting good treatment as the full face mask is designed to allow for a person who mouth breaths to still get effective treatment.  Correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2019, 01:20 PM)yankees123 Wrote: Opal Rose, if a person is using a full face mask there will be times when the persons mouth will be open during the course of the night.  But the person is still getting good treatment as the full face mask is designed to allow for a person who mouth breaths to still get effective treatment.  Correct?

That’s correct. You might experience a dry mouth though.
The OP didn’t state in his first post what type mask he was using.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2019, 01:15 PM)ragtopcircus Wrote: I do have a problem with mouth breathing, and have an Eliminator collar arriving tomorrow. I also got both P30i and F20 masks, so I have a fallback.

I’m hoping I can “eliminate” that in the future by practicing the tongue suck method. I guess I’m confused about how to position the tongue to seal off the mouth without the base of the tongue receding too far back into the airway.

The full face mask may be your best bet if you can’t control mouth breathing. And hopefully the Eliminator collar helps. Some folk also tape their mouth shut.

Here is the tongue technique. You can practice it anytime. It may take time to master. Your tongue won’t recede too far back into the Airway. If it did, you would be choking.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and “slightly back.”
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue at the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.