Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too Late for CPAP?
Too Late for CPAP?
I started using the CPAP on 6/14/16 and didn't sleep much. The mask leaked, and it was generally a wasted night.

The first report I was able to get on MyAir.ResMed.com was from 6/16/16 which showed 35 "events per hour" and about 4 hours of sleep for the 24 hour period. (I assume "events" are apneas, right?) Last night I got well over 7 hours of sleep with a good mask fit, but I had 41 "events per hour."

I'm wondering if I should just go back to the oxygen machine and not get my hopes up with this CPAP machine.

What do you think about the increase in "events per hour" and the fact that I'm averaging 41 events per hour?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Too Late for CPAP?
Events can be both apneas or hypopneas (like small pre-apneas?)

I think you need to download Rescan or Sleepyhead software so you can actually see what is going on. I don't think the MyAir feature gives all that much useful data.

Also, you don't say which model of Resmed S-10 machine you use in your profile and that would also be helpful. The Resmed line includes Auto PAP, standard CPAP machines and in those, machines that report detailed data and those that do not (some call them "bricks").

Keep in mind too that the use of CPAP and O2 are not exclusive of each other. there are ways to add an O2 line to the hose (the mask I started with the Respironics Comfort Classic, had a little nipple on the front of the mask on which you could plug an O2 line).

So in summary, too early and too little data on which to make much of a decision.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, OMYOMY,
My machine is a ResMed AutoSense 10 Autoset. It reports info directly to ResMed several times a day. But as you can tell, I'm totally ignorant about all this and I don't know what the data says. (I'm afraid I wouldn't know or understand the independent software, but I'll probably dig into it soon.)
Thanks again,
OldCoot
Post Reply Post Reply
The information it reports is just summary stuff for insurance compliance.
To tune up the machine you need to use the other software. You don't need to understand everything it reports and there are write-ups about how to use it and post pictures of the information so people here can help

lots to do and lots of help available
Post Reply Post Reply
OldCoot,
Welcome to Apnea Board!
Here is a link to download SleepyHead software.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

It's not that hard to understand, and you don't need to understand all at once. Those of us doing this awhile are still learning. Most important, you can get the Clinicians Manual for your machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

This will help you understand your machine and how to change pressures if needed, which looking at your profile, your machine is set pretty wide open at 5-20. Without seeing your data, it may be safe to assume that your minimum pressure needs to be raised.

If you are having 41 events per hour, that is an AHI of 41 and is too high. Sad

See if you can get the SleepyHead going, then pop your SD card in computer and download the information., then get back to us with a 90% pressure reading. We will need to know the breakdown of your AHI reading too, like how many hypopneas, Obstructives, clear airway, leak rate, etc.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum OldCoot! Important that you slide the little switch on your SD card to locked before inserting into your computer! Then unlock before putting back into your CPAP machine.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OldCoot,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. Joining this Board is a good step toward gaining control of your treatment. Don't worry too much about your numbers not looking good at this point. Download the Sleepyhead software. It is easy to do and there is lots of help here with using it. Once you start transferring data from your machine, you can begin sharing bits and pieces of your data with people who have had very close to the same experience as you. The machine can be used as a diagnostic tool. We can help you with interpretation of your data and can make recommendations that you can use in conversations with your Dr. or that you can use yourself. It is even possible that you do not have the correct machine. That is what happened to me. Stick with us and I think you will eventually get a much better night's sleep.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, what a great forum. Thanks for the quick, helpful replies. Thanks
I'll try to get Sleepyhead downloaded and installed today, working around the kids/grandkids visits.

Sleep is already getting easier. I'm ignoring any bad stuff I guess. And my wife helped me tighten the strap on the pillow mask, which eliminated (or at least reduced) the leaks.

Events per hour dropped slightly to 38 overnight. Smile

Thanks again,
OldCoot
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2016, 10:51 AM)OldCoot Wrote: Wow, what a great forum. Thanks for the quick, helpful replies. Thanks
I'll try to get Sleepyhead downloaded and installed today, working around the kids/grandkids visits.

Sleep is already getting easier. I'm ignoring any bad stuff I guess. And my wife helped me tighten the strap on the pillow mask, which eliminated (or at least reduced) the leaks.

Thanks again,
OldCoot

The goal is to get your events below 5 per hour. I went from over 40 per hour to less than 1 per hour with the help of this Board. And, yes both numbers while on a machine.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2016, 11:07 AM)richb Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 10:51 AM)OldCoot Wrote: Wow, what a great forum. Thanks for the quick, helpful replies. Thanks

Thanks again,
OldCoot

The goal is to get your events below 5 per hour. I went from over 40 per hour to less than 1 per hour with the help of this Board.

Rich

Thanks for the hope, Rich. You made my Father's Day!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 911 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,419 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  [Treatment] May be Too Late for Me Too Tubaman 301 39,820 05-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? ChinaMan 7 1,420 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER srlevine1 24 7,585 08-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Too Late? GTOdude 47 10,106 07-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.