Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too Late for CPAP?
RE: Too Late for CPAP?
You guys are not going to believe this...

Since my last hospital stay in early July I've been doing much better. I have no idea why. Nothing's changed. Still on oxygen at night. My cardiologist added a low-dose of a steroid diuretic. But that's it. I'm sleeping through the night and have a fair amount of energy during the day.

My cardiologist offered to put me on in-home hospice care, but I elected not to do it. When my sons heard about it they asked what I'd like to do before "the end" and I told them I'd like to spend more time with the grand kids and ride a motorcycle again. They encouraged me to find a scooter, so I did. Here it is getting the oil changed in my son's garage...

[Image: MySonsQuickLube.jpg~original]

And after lunch with a good friend...

[Image: FirstRide_WithLarry02.jpg~original]

Here's my dilemma now... Back in May my internal medicine doc scheduled a sleep study for me in August (in addition to the one I did in-home in June). I finally did it, and yesterday I saw the sleep doctor. He wants me to go back on a CPAP machine.

I keep remembering the phrase, don't fix it if it ain't broke... What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
Congestive Heart Failure can cause Apnea symptoms. In particular CHF can cause Periodic Breathing and Cheyne Stokes Respiration. (Reported as Clear Airway and Periodic Breathing by you in an earlier post.) Treating your CHF can greatly improve your night's sleep without the use of CPAP. Straight CPAP has little impact on Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Periodic Breathing. An ASV machine can make things worse especially if your ejection fraction is below 35%. You might want to use your machine as a diagnostic tool so that you can monitor your Periodic Breathing.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
If the 5-20 pressure in your profile is accurate, that could be a big part of the problem ... download Sleepyhead and we can see what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know enough about CHF to offer useful advice, but I was very happy to see you are feeling better and getting out for a ride again! That brightened my day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Really glad to see you feeling better, and getting active. I ride a Yamaha FJR so, I think you have found the best therapy.

With regard to sleep studies and CPAP we know from your previous experience, that it made you feel worse, and that the CPAP data confirmed you were actually doing worse with positive pressure than without it. Enjoy your life and family. The idea that CPAP could be beneficial has been tried and proven a failure. My question to the doctor is, "what do you think we did wrong, and how will it be different this time". It wasn't for lack of effort or compliance on your part. I would not consider another trial unless your doctor can answer that question.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleep apnea is strange stuff. I had ahi of 29 and was not sleeping at all, my father in law had ahi of 39 and resisted treatment because he was sleeping just fine-or so he thought. He had quite low O2 and had no idea. It was still doing damage. If you have sleep apnea and your doctor says to treat it, I might check with any other doctor I was seeing and the just do it. Falling off a cliff wont bother you until right at the end, but it's still what got ya.
Post Reply Post Reply
OldCoot:  Wow, your just down the street from me, we should go for a ride together!
Post Reply Post Reply
God bless you. Enjoy those Grand kids!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 911 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,420 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  [Treatment] May be Too Late for Me Too Tubaman 301 39,820 05-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? ChinaMan 7 1,420 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER srlevine1 24 7,585 08-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Too Late? GTOdude 47 10,107 07-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.