Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Too much air blowing after cleaning
Too much air blowing after cleaning
I have a Resmed Airsense 10 with full face mask that I have been using successfully for about 3 years.  The other night I washed out the tube like I've done numerous times before (rinse at sink with mild soap).  Ever since then as soon as I put the mask on the air pressure is so high that I can't even wear the thing.  A tremendous amount of air is coming out of the connection to my full face mask.  I'm used to a little bit of air, but the amount coming out now is just ridiculous.  I checked all of the connections and the settings and everything seems fine.  The ramp time is set to auto, and I tried a few different settings but nothing seems to help.  Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Too much air blowing after cleaning
Hold your breath if you are putting your mask on while the machine is running.

Normally most people turn the machine on right after the put the mask on.

Our machines try to hold a pressure at the mask. It does this by turning the fan/blower faster when that pressure is not met, and it will not be met unless the mask is on your face.

That is normal behavior
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply.  I've been doing the exact same thing every night for the last three years and this never happened before.  I doubt that it has anything to do with the way I'm putting it on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2020, 08:29 AM)eddog89 Wrote: A tremendous amount of air is coming out of the connection to my full face mask.  I'm used to a little bit of air, but the amount coming out now is just ridiculous.  I checked all of the connections and the settings and everything seems fine.  The ramp time is set to auto, and I tried a few different settings but nothing seems to help.  Any ideas?

I'm stumped. Try turning off the ramp. It may be malfunctioning.

With the ramp off, you should see on the machine's screen the pressure reading. You have yours set at 6 so that is what it should read. You can try removing the mask and placing the end of the hose in a tub of water. If the pressure really is 6 cm, when you submerge the end of the hose to a depth of 6 cm air should stop flowing.

Did you perhaps not completely empty the tube of water after washing it. And then you got some water in the machine? Maybe let it run for an hour or so with no hose connected to see if you can dry it out.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems not to ramp.  Goes up to 6 a few seconds after I put it on.  Last night it started fine.  After a few minutes I had to scratch my face and once the seal was broken it ramped right up to high blowing speed and didn't go back down.  I will try what you have suggested though.  Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
So I understand that .28 psi is too much pressure, correct?

you said "A tremendous amount of air is coming out of the connection to my full face mask" Did you disassemble the mask for cleaning? You could have possibly reassembled it incorrectly.
Do you have another mask that you can try so we can eliminate the mask as the problem?

you said, "After a few minutes I had to scratch my face and once the seal was broken it ramped right up to high blowing speed and didn't go back down."
Were you unable to re-establish the seal? If so that is normal behavior.

FYI at your pressure I would just disable the ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2020, 11:19 AM)eddog89 Wrote: After a few minutes I had to scratch my face and once the seal was broken it ramped right up to high blowing speed and didn't go back down. 

Did you look then to see what the pressure was on the machine's screen?

Pressure and flow rate are two different things. You can have a high flow rate at a low pressure, and vice-versa.

The CPAP machine is designed to deliver a constant pressure over a wide range of flow rates.

I agree that it sounds like it might be a faulty mask or a faulty mask assembly.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give my response as I am struggling with the same issue. I am absolutely sure I am assembling the mask and tube correctly, the tube goes all the way in in the machine as well as to the mask.

Some kind of leakage is happening between the tube and the mask (the ring connection). This happens to me every time I unplug the tube, which makes me hesitant to clean the tube an mask again...

Last night, it malfunctioned until I had used it for about an hour, then it started behaving normally again. What I did notice is that small amounts of water is keep coming out of the connection, which makes me believe it's some kind of sensing issue due to wet equipment.

Anyway, it's my best guess.

Kindly

Per
Post Reply Post Reply
This happens when it’s not fully dried. Disconnect the hose from the mask (with the connecter) and give it a good shake, it will help get the water out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 757 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.