Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] ASV Versus Other PAP Machines
RE: ASV Versus Other PAP Machines
Pretty good summary. For me the defining characteristic of ASV over less adaptive bilevel is that it can vary pressure support on a breath by breath basis to maintain flow, volume and rate. As a result, provided the airway is open, pressure support is titrated to maintain an average volume on each breath overcoming not just CA, but also hypopnea and shallow breathing characteristic of periodic breathing and flow limitation.

One could argue all of these artifacts are characteristic of normal respiration in untreated individuals, at least to a certain extent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2017, 08:43 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Pretty good summary.  For me the defining characteristic of ASV over less adaptive bilevel is that it can vary pressure support on a breath by breath basis to maintain flow, volume and rate.  As a result, provided the airway is open, pressure support is titrated to maintain an average volume on each breath overcoming not just CA, but also hypopnea and shallow breathing characteristic of periodic breathing and flow limitation.  

One could argue all of these artifacts are characteristic of normal respiration in untreated individuals, at least to a certain extent.

Not just agreeing to be agreeable, but yes that's my assessment as well and as an ASV blower owner. The ASV machine can't certainly be needed for everyone, but those like me that do, it sure seems very capable of taking on almost every apnea situation I throw at it.

Time for the AM  Coffee then a weekly trash run. Here's to a great weekend y'all.

Dave B.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2017, 08:43 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: For me the defining characteristic of ASV over less adaptive bilevel is that it can vary pressure support on a breath by breath basis to maintain flow, volume and rate.  As a result, provided the airway is open, pressure support is titrated to maintain an average volume on each breath overcoming not just CA, but also hypopnea and shallow breathing characteristic of periodic breathing and flow limitation.  

That's another good way to think about ASV - that it works on a breath-by-breath basis. I was mainly thinking about it in terms of tidal volume. It's also good to hear that ASV can help with my shallow breathing. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 128 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 172 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 866 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 527 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 612 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 84,024 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,125 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.