Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Can't get used to machine - still feel groggy
Can't get used to machine - still feel groggy
Every night I fall asleep for 1-4 hours, wake up, take off mask and fall back asleep without it. I am desperate for help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can't get used to machine - still feel groggy
The only way to give you suggestions is to see the data. Download OSCAR Software at the top of the site. Then organize the graphs (see graph org at the bottom of this post). Use F12 to take a screenshot of a night or two of sleep and post them.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
removing the mask in sleep is either a) an uncomfortable &/or ill-fitting mask or b) pressure settings too low or too high. if you're removing the mask and are aware of going back to sleep, he obvious solution (in addition to addressing a) and b)) is to force yourself not to remove the mask when you wake or quickly put it back on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask removal is a habit that is tough to unlearn. Just realize it is a behavior that only you can modify, and there are many behavior modification techniques that might work. Quite a few of our members have dealt with this challenge, and hopefully one or more will post how they overcame this. The main thing is you seem to be aware of this habit, and as soon as you realize you have removed the mask, put it back on. You have to stop rewarding the mask removal by leaving it off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My actions to address mask removal involved the following:

1. Be certain the pressure set is in a verifiable good range that I wasn't becoming air starved

2. Use available resources to be certain I'm adjusting mask correctly, that its leakage was minimal, and not tight enough to cause discomfort or pain

3. Put the mask on and start therapy, if I removed mask when asleep, I MADE myself put it back on immediately, I would not disregard and just fall asleep. To do otherwise created a mask removal loop of killing therapy.

We can address these steps individually as needed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
if you search this site, people have made their own alarm, worn socks or mittens on their hands, taped the mask to their face for a little discomfort upon removal, and probably a bunch of other methods. whatever works!
Post Reply Post Reply
Exclaimation 
Hey,

First off -- WELCOME!!! First post, and it's about a very important topic!! 

I had the same problem. My mask would fall off. Or I would take it off. I honestly never figured it out. I went through three different masks, and three different sleep doctor's (but that was mainly because my insurance changed and one office closed down). I ended up landing on a ResMed AirFit 20 I think it's called. Full face mask with good strap and easy to use (cheap to replace). 

This is a journey. It will take time, it will take patience and it will take a good community and doctor! But it is good that you are here!!!

I hope you sleep well!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 186 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 830 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 325 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 902 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.