Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Cental Apnea - Newly Diagnosed
Ohmy 
Cental Apnea - Newly Diagnosed
Hello.

I have recently taken a home sleep test and been diagnosed with Central Sleep Apnea. I am 54 y.o. and have no history of heart attack or stroke. The people at the sleep center prescribed a Madibular Advancement Device. According to research I did on the internet, a MAD will not help with my CSA. Should I get a second opinion?

Thank you very much.
Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cental Apnea - Newly Diagnosed
You do not indicate what symptoms drove you to seek a sleep test or how severe they might be.

By all means, if your insurance will cover the expense, seek a second opinion, preferably from a qualified sleep doctor unaffiliated with the group that performed the first test.

CPAP is the gold standard for treating Apneas -- and you may have to trial a CPAP before moving on to an advanced machine such as a bi-Pap or ASV to deal with CAs. Some doctors believe that MADs are useful for improving symptoms but not for completely controlling sleep apnea.

One option is a three-month trial (rental) of a data-capable device, if your insurance approves, to see improvement in how you feel. Something to consider.

I am sure other forum members will weigh in with some solid advice.

Best of luck.

-- Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I never wake up refreshed and I am drowsy most of the day. I don't think I snore (I live alone). 
Maybe I can take an in hospital sleep test.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might also consider a full, complex, medical workup to rule out other factors like thyroid, blood-carrying oxygen capacity, night-time oxygen desaturation, etc. Also experimenting with sleeping positions. eenvironmental factors like ambient blue light, etc.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think a MAD device will do much for you other than empty your savings account.

the question now becomes do you have anything else going on? Any Cardio-pulmonary issues, COPD, Asthma, Neuro Muscular issues, Brain Injury, Stroke, seizures, Pain Meds especially opioids, anything else you can think of.
Post Reply Post Reply
A MAD device simply alleviates obstruction caused by upper airway tissues blocking your airway and has not effect on central apnea. You will likely need an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) which is intended to treat central apnea by maintaining your normal respiration rate and volume, even when you don't initiate the spontaneous effort to breathe. The ASV does this by adding pressure support when needed and as much as needed to maintain the normal respiration rate and volume. Your sleep tests suggests that your sleep disordered breathing is a "mild" case, and it may be something that is easier to live with than to pursue treatment.

Typically, patients in the US with CSA are dispensed CPAP. While CPAP is not really intended to treat central apnea, many users do get enough improvement to be considered "treated". With that, a less expensive device is deemed good enough, and it ends there. In some cases, CPAP does not resolve the underlying fatigue, brain fog and sleepiness, and the pursuit of better therapy depends on the determination of the patient to get good results. It's not easy to move up to ASV, so it really depends on how affected you are by all this. Your reply to srlevine1 tells us, you probably need treatment. I would suggest you push for CPAP (Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset) and that way you will get good therapy and be able to see the results in data, which you certainly can't do with a MAD which is actually more expensive, and not a comfortable solution as it can result in TMJ.

Not sure your best course to get CPAP, but mention it to your current provider and let them know you'll want a referral if they cannot provide it. I have never seen anyone go directly from a first diagnostic test to ASV without this jump, so give it a go.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will follow up with a sleep doctor.

--Ben

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 397 11 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 60 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 389 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,807 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.