Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Consistently getting <4 hours of sleep after several months
Gross 
Waking up frequently and not feeling rested
Hey Everyone,

I would like some guidance on dialing in my APAP therapy. My current settings are PS 4.0 over 4.0-25.0. I have yet to be able to see a provider for appx. A year ago, the last prescribed setting I had was for 10/6 APAP, but I wasn't able to get a good night's sleep consistently, so I went online looking for guidance. My current settings were recommended as a catch-all for my machine. I have been able to sleep with the current settings (PS 4.0 over 4.0-25.0) but am still experiencing issues sleeping through the night/feeling rested consistently (w/ other factors controlled: i.e., bedtime, last intake, caffeine, etc.). 

I cannot pull meaningful information from my OSCAR data as I need background knowledge to identify abnormalities/clues. I hope some of the members in this forum can help me analyze my OSCAR data and advise me on dialing in my therapy to get a good night's sleep.

OSCAR Data Below:

Thank you.

Additionally:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Waking up frequently and not feeling rested
Additional Information (Sleep Studies):

Post Reply Post Reply
Snoor, our preferred chart is a screen shot of the Daily Details with the summary details on the left. Read the Organize Your Oscar Charts article in my signature links below. The settings you need are EPAP min 5.0 IPAP max pressure 12.0, PS 3.6, Trigger Sensitivity on High.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Thank you for the guidance. I will be sure to follow the posting formatting guide in the future
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
Consistently getting <4 hours of sleep after several months
Hi,

I've been using my current CPAP for going on 6 months now and can't manage to sleep through the night. I've done all I can to manage outside variables such as not eating/drinking 3+ hours before bed, finding a comfortable mask, sleep hygiene, and taking melatonin occasionally. But nothing seems to get me a consistent 6+ hours of sleep. I always wake up after 2-3 hours and feel energetic/rested; but if I take off my mask I fall right back to sleep (poor rest). I try to put my mask back on but just feel to anxious and end up staying awake or taking it off again.

I've included 3 of my daily report. Any feedback or suggestions to help tune in my therapy is much appreciated.

Additional reports:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Consistently getting <4 hours of sleep after several months
Additional reports:

Post Reply Post Reply
Please keep your posts together so we have your historical info. Thank you.

I am seeing a trigger of very high. Was it suggested to try this? Your other thread had Sleeprider mentioning trigger high and what seems to be your current pressures. The charts look good, but you indicate you can't sleep with it. I saw your sleep study report with Central Apnea and then zero anything else.

Possible reason...

Maybe just maybe they should be treating Central Apnea... With ASV. Oh no surprise either, you have Obstructive Apnea (G47.33) that needs treated, uh nope. You had ZERO Obstructive Apnea, ZERO Hypopnea.

Yes, your event numbers are great, but you're benefiting very little right now. If in fact ASV would be a better choice, you should probably set the VAuto back to doctor recommendations and fail it gloriously. Or take your copy of the sleep study, highlight the event count of 29 CA, 0 OA, 0 Hypopnea. Show this to the blind doctor. Ask him when your CA will get treated. Time to go livid. Addition to this, call and complain daily until they fix this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the guidance.

No. I struggled slightly adjusting to my newly adjusted settings and did some research (googling) on ways to ease my struggle. Ever since changing my settings my AHI has been consistently low (which I assume is good) and I rarely get any events registered when reviewing my data. But I still struggle sleeping through the night.

I've had several studies. I was initially on standard CPAP therapy but struggled breathing against the pressure. In regards to the obstructive apnea; the doctors attributed to my nasal congestion (I ended up having a turbinoplasty) and now use Azestaline and Saline regularly. This is the 1st time I'm hearing about a central apnea. I don't get to see my provider a lot due to moving around and availability conflicts.

I'll stick with my current settings; as returning to my doctor's settings was really rough for me. Although things aren't ideal right now, they are a lot better than before. In all truthfulness my doctors aren't the most 'engaged' w/ my care (whether that be a result of being overwhelmed or poor practice), so I don't get much out of them when I 'complain'. Also, it takes 3+ months to see them.

Are there any adjustments you'd recommend in the meantime? What does treating Central Apnea look like? Why wouldn't my current therapy be effective?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoor,

I've merged your threads. This way your history is in one thread.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The main difference between Central and Obstructive Apnea is that Centrals for any cause will have an open, clear airway while Obstructive Apnea have a collapsed airway. Secondarily, the difference is in the treatment involves different machines tuned to the specific task. It appears to me that due to Central Apnea only, they're attempting to treat your condition with the wrong device, and as such seem to help explain why you're uncomfortable and not getting to the well rested state.

Central Apnea can be of an idiopathic cause, meaning medically unknown cause. This CA can be due to brain injuries, but there's many other causes, so don't be too alarmed that you're dealing with CA.

Even if they're intending to treat Obstructive Apnea due to turbinates and such, you still had zero Obstructive events. There's nothing there to treat, so this comes off as incompetent medical work. It could be as simple as they are clueless about Central Apnea and how to treat them, but they need to, because this is really your type of Apnea.

You might need to consider a consult with maybe your primary with this test result in hand. Hey doctor can you get me an ASV to treat CA? And fill in this doctor that the other can't see CA as an issue.

Maybe this is your answer to resolve the poor sleep with what you've got now, despite little to no events on OSCAR. And making some doctor recognize the CA only state of affairs on the test result should reasonably result in a script for ASV. But some doctors aren't reasonable, and are either too lazy to fight for the patient or plain ignorant and incompetent.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally giving OSCAR a shot after 4 months of CPAP with no results SleeepyPuck 13 154 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 3 838 Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Last Post: redpackman
  Used resmed 10 [how to find usage hours] Justbreath 6 5,579 07-13-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  What is average hours per year on CPAP machine? sleepingbetterinFl 1 192 07-10-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Narcil
Question Struggling with CPAP for months. Please help! auri27 8 262 07-08-2024, 08:57 PM
Last Post: auri27
  Is your use of a new cpap monitored during the first 3 months? Sterling147 4 301 07-03-2024, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Sterling147
  Still sleepy after 8 months of CPAP V1nce 4 351 06-30-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.