Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] DIY CPAP/APAP Sleep Therapy - Assistance Please
Question 
DIY CPAP/APAP Sleep Therapy - Assistance Please
Hi,
I am brand new to sleep therapy. 
I would really appreciate your input to my therapy, as I have chosen not to purchase a machine in Australia (this decision will be a new thread).
My Symptoms:
  • Snoring
  • Max 6 hours "sleep" per night
  • Waking, gasping for air, usually in the morning
  • Tired, heavy headed, heavy eyed (all the time)
  • A big napper (up to 2 hours usually after lunch)
My Health:
  • Age = in my 60's
  • BMI = 28.4 (fairly constant)
  • I'm a big guy - 195cm / 108kg 
  • Chronic Sinus Congestion - Fluticasone Cipla inhaler used with mostly good results - Asthmatic as a child, but not now
  • Elevated blood pressure, but not requiring treatment yet (probably should also be in the symptoms list because OSA is my prime suspect)
  • Reasonably active - light gym and swimming min. 3 x per week
My Type 3 Sleep Test - at home on a Philips Alice Night One device:
Please see results below:

My Machine:
Resmed Autosense 10 For Her - second hand from Supplier #2 (US$389 + US$40 + US$95 = A$710 + A$105 (Import Costs) = A$815  (a new ClimateLineAir and SlimLineAir tube should be in the bag with this machine - more about Supplier #2 in a separate post).
This is yet to arrive - hopefully this week (I will post a separate thread on my experience of this process ie. purchasing and shipping for the Aussie forum members who may be considering this option - thanks for the info I found already regarding this subject on this forum).
The best price for the same new machine in Australia is A$1475 (US$1100), including a new mask of your choice. Our public health system provides A$0 to cover this cost.
My Mask:
After much research, I played it safe and have purchased a Resmed F20 AirTouch (full face - large) mask incl. 6 masks A$161. It was a close call between this and the F&P Vitera, with fit and comfort (hopefully) winning the race. It will arrive this week (I already have purchased and received a tube wrap - it's winter here in southern OZ).
My "Blank Sheet" CPAP/APAP Therapy Programme:
This is where I would be very pleased to receive your assistance.
I have done some research, which has provided many schools of thought (in fact too many schools of thought).
As you can see, there's not even recommended CPAP/APAP pressure settings on my Sleep Test! 

Please provide your thoughts (all levels of CPAP/APAP experience welcome).
Yes, I understand everyone is different, and I will not consider your input as direct "advice".
The statement "if I knew then, what I know now, about setting up my CPAP Therapy (as a newby), I would have ...." sums up what I am after, and if you can give specifics eg. pressures, temps, time frames etc., that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

ps. I am already aware of the excellent WIKI on this web site, I'm really after a "custom" WIKI for my machine and I.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DIY CPAP/APAP Sleep Therapy - Assistance Please
The generic settings are min8   Max 15.   EPR 3

That would be a good starting number, then post your nights charts (Oscar) and we can be much more help. 

From the data your events happened while sleeping on your back. Chin tucking could be a problem for you. That causes positional apnea and no pap machine can help that. You have to find a way to stop chin tucking. We can tell if that is a problem with the charts from oscar 

However, many people on this site have found that a collar help greatly. I have a link at the bottom of this post.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi StaceyBurke,
That's great, thanks. Ramp?
Auto the humidity options?, or take a mid start value on humidity and tube heating as a baseline?
We are winter over here so room ambient would be f45 - f55 degrees. Tube will have a sleeve.
Good idea re: chin drop, I'll order a soft cervical collar to have when the inevitable happens or is this jumping the gun?
Post Reply Post Reply
The collar is inexpensive so if you want you can get one at most drug stores. 2 measurements are nick size and the distance from your chin to sternum. 

Ramp is not needed with the settings I gave you. Your exhale will be at 4 and that is as low as it can be. 

Humidity I would set at 4 and adjust up or down with how you feel.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks StaceyBurke
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 25 979 53 minutes ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 841 10 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 259 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.