Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] How to adjust from CPAP to VPAP
How to adjust from CPAP to VPAP
My wife was just switched from a CPAP (after four years and new sleep study) to a ResMed S9 VPAP S. Her current pressure was 13# and now it is set for 15-20. She is have a very hard time adjusting to it the pressure seems too great and she has not used it for the first two nights. Today the Dr changed it to 13-17.

Any ideas?
Thanks for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to adjust from CPAP to VPAP
I've no experience with the machine but from reading what people say, its not surprising your wife having hard time adjusting
It take some time to adjust and will get better, good thing the doctor is looking after her
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2014, 06:36 PM)ron137 Wrote: My wife was just switched from a CPAP (after four years and new sleep study) to a ResMed S9 VPAP S. Her current pressure was 13# and now it is set for 15-20. She is have a very hard time adjusting to it the pressure seems too great and she has not used it for the first two nights. Today the Dr changed it to 13-17.

Hi ron137, welcome to the forum!

In "15-20" or "13-17" the first number is called EPAP (exhalation pressure).

The second number is called IPAP (inhalation number).

The difference between EPAP and IPAP is known as Pressure Support.

I suggest she return the VPAP S machine and request the doctor to change the prescription to be appropriate for a VPAP Auto machine, by prescribing a range for EPAP. For example:

Min EPAP = 11 (or higher, doctor selected)
Max IPAP = 20
PS = 4 or 5 (doctor selected)

Or, if her previous machine was a Philips Respironics machine (and she liked it), then the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP Auto with Heated Tube is also a very fine machine, with a few features which the ResMed VPAP machines do not have (such as Bi-Flex and slowly self-adjusting Pressure Support).

VPAP Auto or BiPAP Auto machines would self-adjust as needed, delivering only as much pressure as needed and only when it is needed, allowing her average pressure to be as low as possible while still delivering effective therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Also, if she takes action to make sure she stays off her back while sleeping, she likely would not need anywhere near an EPAP of 15. And if she were to roll onto her back while asleep, the VPAP Auto would self-adjust and would probably handle it fine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2014, 09:00 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(11-21-2014, 06:36 PM)ron137 Wrote: My wife was just switched from a CPAP (after four years and new sleep study) to a ResMed S9 VPAP S. Her current pressure was 13# and now it is set for 15-20. She is have a very hard time adjusting to it the pressure seems too great and she has not used it for the first two nights. Today the Dr changed it to 13-17.

Hi ron137, welcome to the forum!

In "15-20" or "13-17" the first number is called EPAP (exhalation pressure).

The second number is called IPAP (inhalation number).

The difference between EPAP and IPAP is known as Pressure Support.

I suggest she return the VPAP S machine and request the doctor to change the prescription to be appropriate for a VPAP Auto machine, by prescribing a range for EPAP. For example:

Min EPAP = 11 (or higher, doctor selected)
Max IPAP = 20
PS = 4 or 5 (doctor selected)

Or, if her previous machine was a Philips Respironics machine (and she liked it), then the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP Auto with Heated Tube is also a very fine machine, with a few features which the ResMed VPAP machines do not have (such as Bi-Flex and slowly self-adjusting Pressure Support).

VPAP Auto or BiPAP Auto machines would self-adjust as needed, delivering only as much pressure as needed and only when it is needed, allowing her average pressure to be as low as possible while still delivering effective therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Also, if she takes action to make sure she stays off her back while sleeping, she likely would not need anywhere near an EPAP of 15. And if she were to roll onto her back while asleep, the VPAP Auto would self-adjust and would probably handle it fine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2014, 06:36 PM)ron137 Wrote: My wife was just switched from a CPAP (after four years and new sleep study) to a ResMed S9 VPAP S.

What was the reason for the change in machines?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just so you know Vaughn has a good point indeed. I was on straight cpap at 18 and based on his suggestions I got a PRS1 760 BiPap auto the results are quite pleasing, that auto does the trick indeed.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 I would not want any machine not capable of self adjusting, or not providing full data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Please help me adjust settings from OSCAR to CPAP deirdrepen 2 293 01-14-2024, 11:18 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 315 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Using Vcom : do i adjust my EPR? theredheadsaid 65 7,084 09-09-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Adjust time on Airsense 11 Liveoak86 2 603 08-19-2023, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Liveoak86
Sad Please review my data and help me adjust my settings DC2Shogun 61 4,383 08-13-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.