Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Is AHI a true indicator of sleep quality?
RE: Is AHI a true indicator of sleep quality?
Long REM sleep is the gold standard for me. My throat and neck muscles relax deeply in such sleep. As a result, I'll have more apnea/hypopnea events. So my AHI is higher on nights of long deep sleep (but still fine!); whereas on nights when sleep is shallow with lots of wakenings, my AHI is usually lower. I'll take the higher AHI and deep REM gladly every time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2017, 09:03 PM)hegel Wrote: Long REM sleep is the gold standard for me. My throat and neck muscles relax deeply in such sleep. As a result, I'll have more apnea/hypopnea events. So my AHI is higher on nights of long deep sleep (but still fine!); whereas on nights when sleep is shallow with lots of wakenings, my AHI is usually lower. I'll take the higher AHI and deep REM gladly every time.

How do you know which nights you had long REM sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting post. I'm also new to all things CPAP and my AHI's are between 1.2 to 5.5 but yet i'm waking up still feeling foggy and tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, sleep duration is as important, or more important than AHI in terms of how I feel the next day. There are some days when I get just 7 hours of sleep but my AHI is 0.3. That's an excellent AHI but I need more than 7 hours to feel well rested.

For some time now I've been experimenting with the theory that my ASV machine actually interferes with sleep to some extent in order to keep the AHI low. I don't know if this is actually true but I do feel better with the machine manually set to a particular BPM rate than I did with it on Auto. My suspicion is that Auto was simply too aggressive in micro-managing my breathing. But this is just my own guesswork; I don't know of any real evidence to support it.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is used by researchers to classify patients into groups so they can do research on them. Of course, we use it for more than that, but I think that is it's original purpose.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"How do you know which nights you had long REM sleep?"

I remember my dreams, or dreaming; and I sleep through three full hours or more at a time, which is my typical REM cycle. 

Or, I have a restless night with only one or two hours of sleep cobbled together through the night. These are nights when I'll almost always have a great AHI!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2017, 04:18 PM)Sleepster Wrote: AHI is used by researchers to classify patients into groups so they can do research on them. Of course, we use it for more than that, but I think that is it's original purpose.

That.   Is all that it is generally useful for.   It is a crude yardstick for dividing groups for research purposes.  It is generally useful in that most people with an AHI of 5 will feel worse than most people with an AHI of 1.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 251 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 875 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,210 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 624 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 854 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.