Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] John70's Therapy Thread
RE: John70's Therapy Thread
Hi Dave,

Yes I do change mask type. I read something that had to do with algorithms why I should change mask type. 

This is a very interesting subject, "The type of mask determines to what extent CO2 is evacuated". If it is true a FF is harder to evacuate all the CO2 then Pressure Support would probably not be necessary.

It is just another reason to try to make a nasal mask work for me.

Thanks,

John
Sleep Apnea is a fight I need to win! 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Gideon,

Min EPAP 8, Max IPAP 15, PS 4. Beauty Rest Black Pillow (very soft, practically flat)  I used my SwiftRx nasal pillow mask with mouth tape last night.  

My Centrals are a little high. Maybe a PS 3 tonight?

Thanks for the tip using the P10, it now has its own tooth brush for cleaning and drying it in the hurricane dryer.

I now have 4 cervical collars which would only be needed when using a FF mask as you saw yesterday.

I am completely blown away how my events change using the F30 FF mask.  Needlessly to say, I will stay with the nasal pillow P10 or Swift FX. Maybe try the Dreamwear and Evora nasal cushion some time later. The only issue using them is keeping my mouth shut with mouth tape which I don’t think is great but it does work.

Thanks for your help.
John

Post Reply Post Reply
All this said, the right mask is the one that works for you.

It took me months to train to do nasal breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Gideon,

What works for me is optimal success with OSA therapy. Initially, I was prescribed the DreamWear cushion med mask. I had problems with leaks and noise. I was then prescribed a FF mask which I went thought several of them before I settled on the F30. I was okay with it until I discovered that dry mouth was causing tooth decay. Additionally, I was dealing with congestion, hence I considered myself a mouth breather. 

There is a lot a attention here on AB and other places to overcome the need for a FF mask. For the next few weeks, I am going to do everything I can to adjust to a nasal mask.

What is your experience here on AB with people using FF or nasal mask? Is there a benefit one over the other or are they considered the same as a matter of preference if someone is not considered a mouth breather?

Thanks,

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer the 'smallness on the pillow or nasal masks simply because with the smaller masks there are fewer areas to leak and they provide much less of that "Darth Vader" effect. They also make it easier to read a book or to chill out and watch a movie or show. Therapeutically I consider them equivalent when properly setup. Yes the settings to achieve the same degree of therapy may be a little different. I have always suggested t try pillows first, then nasal, and finally full face masks in that orderwhen trying to find your mask. What is the best mask? The mask that works for you!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed with whatever works for you is the best choice. I'm a mouth breather and didn't invest a lot of time trying to be successful on my ResMed N/P30i masks. I'll full face mask for the time being with my Vitera.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave,

The F&P Vitera is a great mask. The concept of nose breathing is interesting and the associated benefits. There is a lot a info on YouTube that you might find worthwhile. I have watched many of them along with reading the Breath book you can find on Amazon. 

"Whatever works for you is the best choice". My choice is to further my knowledge here on the AB and other resources to come to a conclusion. Whether my body excepts the conclusion remains to be seen. 

Godspeed,

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Gideon,

AirCurve VAuto verses Airsense 10:

I am using the AirCurve now, setting Max IPAP 15 Min EPAP 8, PS 3, Trigger High.
Mask last night pillow mask, Swift FX

I hesitate to drop PS anymore as I only had 14 Central Apnea events. Do you agree I should leave PS @ 3?

Now I am wondering for my OSA therapy is AirCurve necessary? I know Trigger helps me take a breath sooner after exhalation. 

Today I woke up really tired, also I kept waking up during the night. I am not sure if it is my active brain or something else. 

There really is not too much I can say then stay the course, unless you see there may be a tweak we can do with the AirCurve. 

Let me know,

Thanks,
John

Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion is that if you think you're doing well on the therapy with these settings, keep at it. We never have a goal to eliminate every event, just to lower their negative impact, reducing disturbance so you sleep better and comfortably.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider,

VAuto settings:

Max 16, Min 7.6, PS 3.4, TiMax 2.0 (just changed to 2.3) Trigger Very High, Cycle Med. Currently using SwiftFX with mouth tape. No cervical collar.

Because of centrals my PS sweet spot is 3.4. The "Very High" trigger setting helped as well. 

I changed my settings so many times that I forgot where the defaults were. Hence TiMax 2.0 default, changed to 2.3. 

Obviously, the changes are working. I am keeping a log whenever I make changes, especially when I change mask. I have not decided to stay with the Swift FX or something else. 

Do you care to make any comments? You have trained my well. I will check in from time to time.

Thanks for all you help.

John 

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 3 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 176 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,364 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 968 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.