Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Managing flow limitations
Managing flow limitations
Hi Everyone,

I've been using CPAP for around 3 years now with an untreated AHI of 7.5 and a treated AHI under 1.  Initially I was on pressure 5-15 with EPR=1, but during the pandemic I got tired of waking up a lot and started using OSCAR to adjust my settings.

For the last several months I've been on fixed pressure of 7.6 with EPR=3. I have some nights that are great and others that are spotted with half a dozen RERAs and the occasional Obstructive or Hypopnea.  From the machine reported numbers I should be doing great but I'm still tired and some nights I wake up a lot.  

When I look at OSCAR I see that I have a lot of minor flow limitations off and on throughout the night and usually have a few bursts of high flow limitation.  Maybe this is part of the reason I'm still tired?  Should I try different pressure settings, or is a BiPAP what I need to get more pressure support?

Here's an example of a night where I didn't have a lot of events but still woke up exhausted

Zoomed into some flow limited breathing

Zoomed into a CA

Any ideas? Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Managing flow limitations
Welcome to the forum,
Yes flow limits do seem to be a problem. I'd consider a range of something like 8-15 and see if that helps. Post an OSCAR and tell us how you feel, a critical summary of fatigue or not, if therapy is helping, etc.

Another thing to do is post a redacted sleep study. You should have a detailed copy anyway in your personal health file. HIPAA law permits your request for a copy to be granted. There might be things revealed there that's not currently addressed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

On the CA I think you were holding your breath. Following that looks like arousal, even a bit before that CA. See how your BR/Breathing Rate slowed down and became more irregular

On the flow limits I'd suggest a higher PS, but you are maxed out at EPR of 3 so increase your min pressure by 1.

But do note which settings feel better and why. Your numbers are excellent so do not chase numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
The period of higher flow limitations all occurred around the same time and based on your description it sounds like that is usually the case. This might be a positional issues (tucking your chin or something like that). I get some similar looking flow limitations leading to RERAs when my chin is tucked (if I move too far forward on pillow etc).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both. I’ll try increasing my pressure as you detailed to see if that helps. Last time I tried going above 7.6 I had a lot of aerophagia issues that would also wake me up but I’m willing to try again to see what happens and collect more data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2021, 08:34 PM)fishfinderG Wrote: Thank you both. I’ll try increasing my pressure as you detailed to see if that helps. Last time I tried going above 7.6 I had a lot of aerophagia issues that would also wake me up but I’m willing to try again to see what happens and collect more data.

How long ago was it that you had aerophagia?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had aerophagia bad 3-4 months back when I was experimenting with fixed pressures above 7.6. I also get it from time to time even now if I’m having heartburn. Whenever I have heartburn or drink it seems much more likely to cause aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be you need to go back to a pressure range so your higher pressure setting isn't active always. It only goes up for events.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adjusted my pressure to be 7.6-9 and kept EPR at 3.  Woke up a few times during the night but overall this first night does look a little better in terms of flow limitations, although AHI was slightly higher than what I normally see.  Did not have aerophagia which is a pleasant surprise given past attempts at higher pressure.

I'm going to try these settings again tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your apnea occurred at lower pressures, higher AHI had nothing to do with the new settings.

You had one moment where it looked like you were going to have higher flow limitations and the increasing pressure may have helped. I would consider raising max pressure a bit more even. The machine will only use a higher pressure when it needs to and for example last night was only only at 9 cm for around 10 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 6 212 36 minutes ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 299 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,604 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.