Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] New CPAP user with OSCAR data---High AHI
RE: New CPAP user with OSCAR data---High AHI
Ramp is needed only when you need a brief transition to your therapeutic pressures. Most, not all, of the senior people do not use a ramp at all.

ResMed uses Flow limits as a signal to increase pressure to prevent obstructive events. Pressure difference, EPR for ResMed CPAPs, between EPAP/exhale and IPAP/inhale pressures is what best treats Flow Limits, Hypopneas, RERAs, UARS, a ND even snores. Most of the medical community assumes that EPR is only a 'Comfort' feature, it is not.

How to know? Look at the charts. Pressure will increase after flow limits, and after Obstructive events, to prevent future events.

If EPR does not lower your high pressures I would lower your max pressure to increase your comfort. Using EPR will also increase your 'comfort', after all it is a 'comfort' feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2020, 08:25 AM)format Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 09:00 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Two things that are probably happening.  You are sleeping on your back and your Flow Limit is what is driving your pressure so high.  I would recommend setting your EPR to 3 and "Full Time".  Try sleeping on your side.

The recommendation above is based on the report listing an AirSense 10 for Her.  Your profile lists an AirCurve 10 VAuto.  Why are you using the AS 10?

How about his idea?  Ramp only is really better? thaks
https://myapnea.org/forum/not-understand-epr-setting

This Sleeptech doesn't understand that Flex is a proportional response to your breathing and EPR is a fixed response.  EPR, with the limited values it has of 0,1,2,3, behaves identically to pressure support on the next machine up, the BiLevel, not so with flex.  He is correct in that the reduction of pressure from EPR must be accounted for., You are on a 'self adjusting' auto machine and at far higher pressures than where this will be applied and we will evaluate the effects of the change 

This Sleeptech seems to be very Old-school

Look at the breath waveform from both a CPAP with EPR and a ResMed BiLevel with PS and see for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using an EPR of 3 will make your CPAP act as a Bi-level machine. This will provide higher pressure during inhale helping overcome the flow limitations. If you can overcome the flow limitations, the CPAP's pressure will not increase to its limits. Ramp only EPR is for comfort only and not for apnea therapy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Wrote:Using an EPR of 3 will make your CPAP act as a Bi-level machine.  This will provide higher pressure during inhale helping overcome the flow limitations.  If you can overcome the flow limitations, the CPAP's pressure will not increase to its limits.  Ramp only EPR is for comfort only and not for apnea therapy.

bonjour Wrote:This Sleeptech doesn't understand that Flex is a proportional response to your breathing and EPR is a fixed response.  EPR, with the limited values it has of 0,1,2,3, behaves identically to pressure support on the next machine up, the BiLevel, not so with flex.  He is correct in that the reduction of pressure from EPR must be accounted for., You are on a 'self adjusting' auto machine and at far higher pressures than where this will be applied and we will evaluate the effects of the change 

This Sleeptech seems to be very Old-school

Look at the breath waveform from both a CPAP with EPR and a ResMed BiLevel with PS and see for yourself.

ok, I enable EPR and Using an EPR of 3 to overcome the flow limitations, also I put on cervical collar's cover already, still high AHI.

How to improve it? What happened to me? please advise, thanx

Post Reply Post Reply
Set your min pressure to 10 based on your previous charts, you have since set EPR=3 fulltime which is treating your flow limits much better.
What are you doing to treat the clusters?
If you are using a soft cervical collar it is not fully working. Is your chin tucking behind / under the collar? Is the Collar tall enough?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2020, 06:39 PM)bonjour Wrote: Set your min pressure to 10 based on your previous charts, you have since set EPR=3 fulltime which is treating your flow limits much better.
What are you doing to treat the clusters?
If you are using a soft cervical collar it is not fully working.  Is your chin tucking behind / under the collar?  Is the Collar tall enough?

I use both, not working

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/...L1500_.jpg

https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/22006...459174.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply
Try wrapping a towel around the chin area to get a higher height at the chin, or buy a taller collar. I'm not fussy on how but something needs to be done to improve the collar use. You could try and limit yourself to only side sleeping in addition to the collar.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 491 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 497 4 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 53 Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 67 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 405 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.