Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Noob member here. Need help setting machine.
Grin 
Noob member here. Need help setting machine.
Hi, I've had my Philips Dreammaster a few years.. No sleep study, but I would like some help setting it up correctly. I have had issues with it in the past. First using a nasal mask the pressure would blow out through my mouth.  I switched to a full face mask and I was able to tolerate the pressure a little better-but I am unable to sleep with the mask on all night.  Its just so uncomfortable.  So I switched back to the nasal mask and I seem to tolerate it a bit better, but I still have a hard time keeping it on all night.  I'll post a screen shot of last night, but it is skewed because my nose is running and I am having a hard time breathing through my nose.      

I'd love to get some help honing the machine in so I can wear it all night.  I also track my sleep with my apple watch and my sleep is so much better and deeper using the APAP.  How can I set this this so it doesn't blow my face off with pressure and it is comfortable enough to wear all night.  It just seems I get frustrated in the middle of the night and just rip it off. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noob member here. Need help setting machine.
G'day Harlank. Welcome to Apnea Board.

First, can I ask you to re-post the daily page in accordance with these instructions.  That way we can get a much better handle on what's happening with your sleep.

I don't want to sound preachy (and I am by no means perfect myself in this regard) but if the mask isn't on your face, the machine is doing you no good at all. So you (like me) need to find a way to keep that mask in place all night long. Because everybody's face is different, so are their mask requirements - and it's really a matter of trial and error to get one which suits you perfectly. You've already tried nasal and full face masks but you may need to try different makes and models to get "your" mask.  There is an excellent discussion of mask types in our Mask Primer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

What I see from what you posted is that your charts are showing a high level of Flow Limits with everything else not being really bad.  

What is your flex setting?

The best treatment for you is to actually with another machine because DreamStations do a poor job treating flow limitations.  A ResMed AutoSet or a BiLevel such as the ResMed VAuto is better.  These machines can effectively deliver a differential in pressure between the inhale and exhale that best treats Flow Limits, the VAuto provides a larger differential and thus is more flexible in approach.

Please show the left sidebar without the pie chart or calendar.  When you post as per the organize link it helps us to see cause and effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!  I did a little better with it last night. Hopefully this screenshot is better.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I posted a later screenshot as I was asked with the screenshot adjusted.  My flex setting is 3.  Getting a new machine is out of the question. I'd like to get more out of the masks and machine I own.  It seems to be a problem with settings and with the machine coming to pressure and blowing my face off and annoying me while I am sleeping. rather than a mask issue.  I would appreciate some help so I can use this equipment like it was meant to be.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 155 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,186 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 234 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 498 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.