Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Request for Advise on my new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel
RE: Request for Advise on my new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel
I should state that I found no problem with the min EPAP from 4.0 to 5.0. I am ok with the change in PS from 3.0 to 4.0, but perhaps it is a bit too strong. PS is very new to me, as I did not use it or did not have it on my S9 Autoset APAP in the past, which is the machine I left to use my VAuto. Even a PS of 3.0 is a very noticeable difference to me. 

Is anybody aware of literature discusssing the pros and cons of PS in PAP therapy with relatively low pressures over time? Is it considered a good thing for health, or simply a comfort setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a difference in how the autoset (resmed s10) and the VAUTO (resmed s10) numbers work.

The autoset - You set the min pressure and that is where the pressure starts and goes up from there on inhale.  EPR (exhale pressure relief) subtracts the EPR from the min to give you the exhale pressure. So Min 8 Epr 3 would give you a inhale pressure of 8 and an exhale pressure of 5.  The Max is as high as the machine will go to stop apnea.

Vauto - The Min pressure is the lowest pressure on exhale.  You add the PS(pressure support) to the Min for the inhale pressure.  The max again is as high as the machine will go to stop apnea.  So the same number we had before except EPR is now PS...  Min 8 PS 3  Inhale pressure is 11, exhale is 8 - max is the still as high as the machine will go to stop apnea.

I hope I explained it well enough if not I'm sure someone will come by and do a better job or correct anything I made a mistake on.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
On BPAP machines like the VAuto, PS is the setting of pressure added to EPAP/exhalation pressure to give the IPAP/inspiration pressure. PS won't be found on a CPAP/APAP. And it's part of the therapy setting group.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the change from EPAP min 4 to 5 was beneficial and reduced OA events. The PS may be too strong, and there is a pretty significant increase in tidal volume that might be why you felt overstimulated by the ventilation. Keep the increase in EPAP and back off PS to 3.2 or 3.4
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider

Ok great, thank you! I will make the recommended changes tonight and report back. I'll change the PS from 4.0 to 3.4 tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All,

Here is my Oscar report from night #3 with my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel

Here is a summary of settings over the past 3 nights:

Night 1: Min EPAP 4, Max IPAP 18, PS 3.0
Night 2: Min EPAP 5, Max IPAP 18, PS 4.0
Night 3: Min EPAP 5, Max IPAP 18 PS 3.4

Symptoms: Feel less rested today. I think I had a mask leak contributing to this. No desire for a nap nor any somnolence. Feel like I need 1 more hour sleep. The PS change from 4.0 to 3.4 was very comfortable and I like PS 3.4 better. 

Please advise and thanks. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Results are fine. You have been changing EPAP and PS and at this point, making notes of how you feel and responding accordingly seems like a good plan. Well done! Use PS 3.4 with our blessing. That is exactly how it’s done.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider

Thank you very much! The support from you and Gideon has been fantastic. I will let it be for a while and see how things level out. Thank you again for your wonderful service and software.
Post Reply Post Reply
All; the settings you recommended have worked out well for me since my last post. I have lost some weight and will do another analysis soon. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All,

I hope I can benefit from your help again. Thank you in advance! 

Update: Since Dec 1,  2022, I have lost 40lbs intentionally. I am healthy.

I have noticed in the last 1 month that I leaking from the mouth frequently, awakening with a very dry mouth and less rested. Prior to this, I never leaked from the mouth, never had dry mouth issues. 

No changes in bed, sleeping position, pillows, etc.

I can see on my data that my leak rate and volume has increased significantly since late April, yet my EHI has been very good.

I suspect my minimum pressure is now too high given my weight loss and reduced mechanical airway obstruction. Suspect mouth leaks may be messing with my EHI data. 

I have been less rested in the AM, less energy through the day. Recently requiring some naps. Until the past month, I would almost never nap. 

I have replaced my usual mask, tube, humidifier chamber, and humidifier chamber air outlet with brand new units about two weeks ago. 

Please advise and thanks very much!

More screenshots:

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help request... zsearcher 23 1,182 6 hours ago
Last Post: zsearcher
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 118 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 849 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,953 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 77 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.