Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Returning Member - Intertpreting OSCAR Data
Returning Member - Intertpreting OSCAR Data

Any advice on my situation would be received with gratitude.

I've been using my CPAP blissfully without apparent problems for many years....but recently began experiencing light headaches identical to the ones I had before starting to use a CPAP.

I reconnected with the discussion board and found some standard advice to increase my max pressure by about 0.5 cm and monitor the change. The headaches disappeared immediately.

Attached are daily logs - one at 14.0 cm max pressure setting (headaches) and one increased to 14.6 cm max pressure setting (no headaches)

Thanks....so grateful to those who have produced and maintain OSCAR! I was lost trying to use other earlier open source tracking products...OSCAR is wonderful!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Returning Member - Intertpreting OSCAR Data
Your pressures are ok, but your real problem is the leaks.  When you have major leaks you do NOT get therapy.  There is not enough pressure to help with the apnea.  Before you can do anything else you need find a way to reduce the leaks.  Many look to be mouth breathing... A collar is one of the best ways to reduce the leaks.  See and read about the collar in my signature at the bottom of the page.  If you do not want to try a collar you may look at a full face mask.  Resmed makes the F30 and F30I both very good masks.  BTW many, many people find a mask that works very difficult.  There are dealers that do offer a return to try another one.  I'm unsure how his works but you could call and find out.  Some of the best suppliers to pap users are located in the suppliers list at the top of this site.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I strongly suspect a positional issue here. That is based on the very wide swings in pressure, very high flow limitations and snores, and the episodic nature of the pressure swings and flow limits (clustering). I think a soft cervical collar could be a very very helpful tool for you to improve your therapy, results and leaks. I'm nearly certain of this. Did your change in results occur after changing bedding, especially pillows?

READ:
positional apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
soft cervical collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the insights and advice!

I have long been using buckwheat pillows. My sleep requires frequent reshaping of the pillow to keep my head tilted back...maybe this is typical
A cervical collar is ordered and on its way.
I will read through the links you have provided and will post once I have some "after" data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Drop some bulk from the buckwheat pillow, or go to something softer. You are chin-tucking due to the firmness and height of that pillow. A collar will resolve this, but you might get by without one by just softening your pillow or going to something like down.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Some preliminary data.....Jan 5th first night using a soft cervical collar: Eliminator Sleep Cushion. I did not try switching pillows or reducing the amount of buckwheat in my current pillow (Just reading that advice this morning for first time)....will attempt that going forward

I suspect one night of data is not enough....or is it?   Jan 4 data is without sleep collar

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
With the collar, pressures are lower and your event rate and leak rate, is roughly 50% of the night without. I think that is a successful demonstration. Pressure is rising on flow limits, and it would help to shrink the events, flow, pressure and leak charts enough to fit the flow limit chart in the screenshot. This is progress, and I think we need to keep an eye out for additional opportunity to optimize after you get used to the Eliminator.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Next time you post a chart, try stacking your graphs this way:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Flow limitations
Snores.

To fit everything into one screenshot, grab the gray horizontal bars that separate the graphs and push them up a little.

Clearly the collar is helping with leaks, which is great. Do you think you might want also to experiment with taping your lips closed? If yes, you might start with Somnifix strips, which are gentle on the skin but have good hold. Be sure to purse your lips before applying them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm hoping to avoid measures that require losing facial hair....but am open to it if necessary.
I assume taping is a no go with my mustache......hoping to regrow my full beard if this pandemic ever ends.
Thanks for everyone's insights and advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Eliminator collar has not worked out for the majority of members that tried it, although it's fine for others. It is hard to keep it in place, and it doesn't support the jaw from behind, but more from under the chin. Keep an open mind towards trying some alternatives like the corflex. I know it looks more bulky, but very few have complained about comfort. You can learn to control the air escaping your mouth. The basic technique is to suck your tongue to the roof of your mouth, just like you would if you sucked on a straw. The tongue rests behind the top teeth on the roof of your mouth and will hold back any pressure. Practicing this, maintaining suction, and supporting the jaw can get you past this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 399 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 172 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.