Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Treating Sleep Apnea with just Mouth Appliance and Back Exercises
Treating Sleep Apnea with just Mouth Appliance and Back Exercises
Hi All,

I have had pretty bad sleep apnea for about 5 years. When it got to the point that a Mouth Appliance, would no longer give me a good night's sleep, I did not want to just progress onto CPAP. So I experimented with different techniques. Eventually I figured out that the key to treating my sleep apnea was a specific type of back exercise (done at night time).

I have been successfully using this treatment for 3 years and have now decided to write the treatment/therapy up on my website: paul.klink.id.au

The treatment works really well for me. My breathing is good all night and through the day, I do not suffer from any tiredness due to sleep apnea.

Please note that I am not a health professional. This is just something I have figured out with lots of experimentation with my own sleep. Hopefully this can help others.

Regards, Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Treating Sleep Apnea with just Mouth Appliance and Back Exercises
Glad it works for you.

I don't think ResMed is worried about losing business though.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Paul. Welcome to Apnea Board.

If your treatment is working well for you, that's great. However after reading through your site in some detail I don't believe your explanation of sleep apnea is correct in any way. There is an excellent animation showing how obstructive sleep apnea works on the first page of the Apnea Board Wiki. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki You'll note that there is no mention of the back muscles being involved.

The interruption to breathing caused by diaphragm inaction is called central apnea, as it is a failure of the central nervous system to instruct the diaphragm to breathe. This is a neurological condition often related to the amount of CO2 in the blood, or the brain's failure to correctly determine and respond to CO2 levels. It's nothing to do with the back muscles.

Your description of the apnea you experience really sounds to me like a different condition. OSA isn't something which happens once or twice a night - it can happen hundreds of times. People aren't generally aware of each event - they rouse then go back to sleep immediately, and usually have no recollection of this happening. What you describe is very different.

In summary, I'm happy that you've been able to manage your condition, but I don't believe your advice is relevant to people with obstructive or central sleep apnea, for which CPAP / ASV are the gold standards of treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pbklink,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
From what you’re saying, I’m not sure what question you are asking or what kind of input you’d like to have. Or maybe you just need folks to click through to your blog? Hard to decide.

I also don’t quite understand your aversion to xPAP or ASV (in other words, a machine). There’s certainly nothing intrinsically aversive to a delivery system that prevents you from having nightly near fatalities.

Curious: how did you get diagnosed with a sleep apnea and what were the stats? How do you know the mouthguard was no longer working? Given that apneic events are often not recalled, how do you know that your back exercises have solved your apnea problem? And not just relaxed your muscles so you feel better after sleeping?
Post Reply Post Reply
Paul

Some replies to your statements from your website

Quote.........When I first started suffering from sleep Apnea, I was able to manage it by carefully controlling my sleeping position. However that only worked for about a year.........Unquote

How did you know you have sleep apnea? Did you have a sleep study? How did you know then that your apnea was controlled by your sleeping position? How was this gauged? How did you prove to yourself and any others (medical professional) who you might have been reporting to?

Quote.......When this no longer worked, my dentist organised a mouth appliance for me. This was great at first. Just pop it into my mouth at bedtime and no sleep apnea!......Unquote

As noted previously, what/how was the formal confirmation that your sleep apnea( if indeed you did suffer from it) was no longer helped by sleeping position? So did you monitor your sleep apnea with an Oximeter when you used a mouth appliance?

Quote ..............You can suffer from sleep apnea at any time - not just when you are asleep...........Unquote

This is factually inaccurate as you only suffer from SLEEP apnea when ASLEEP.

Quote...........Being able to detect sleep apnea while you are awake allows you to practise this skill so you can do it more efficiently when you wake up at night. It also allows you to get a better understanding of your body; its susceptibility to sleep apnea and patterns which bring it about...........Unquote

Apologies, but the above is almost non sensical. We cannot detect sleep apnea when awake as SLEEP apnea occurs when we are ASLEEP and hence the insidious and dangerous condition. We often are not aware of sleep apnea at night but are aroused and prevented from dying as our brain kicks in to get us aroused and start breathing again and hence the sleep disturbance. Our partners can hear our snoring and rasping and see our cessation of breathing but usually not ourselves.

Quote.............sleep apnea sufferers can experience vivid dreams. So if you wake up in the middle of the night and strongly remember a dream, then it is likely that you have sleep apnea.............Unquote

In fact, it is common for Sleep Apnea sufferers not to remember their dreams as during REM sleep, when dreams occur, the upper airways muscles and most of our bodies are most relaxed and paralysed to stop us from acting out our dreams that Sleep Apnea occurs. I am a case in point as my apneas mostly occur during REM sleep (noted from my in hospital sleep study). So it is inaccurate when you write that Sleep Apnea sufferers experience vivid dreams. It IS the case that the most of us report starting to have and remember our dreams once our PAP therapy treatment is successful.

It is at this point that I have to stop reading your website as I need to continue my day but I shall say this..........It is inaccurate of you to make the comments you do and it is also unhelpful for those who suffer and may be not strong enough (emotionally) to make that trip to the doctor and thus find succour from your inaccurate information. None of us want to have a piece of plastic attached to us at night -it is not sexy nor pretty but I, for one, am thankful that it is giving me re-energised days and prolonging my life as my father was a avid snorer and non-breather at nights and he died prematurely from a stroke (at the age of 58) - a strong indicator for sleep apnea.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
one thing i dont get is the following:

improving posture ie straightening the cervical spine will always result in less airspace behind max and mandible.

In that way, while you are improving the musscles that you are using for breathing (diaframe instread of fight or flight inducing secondary breathing musscles like scalenes etc)

pushing in the mandible forward will create more space for air to flow, but may have catastrophic impacts on your posture, and in that way seems like a deal with the devil.

i look at it like this: cpap allows me to finally employ a back sleeping posture with is by far the best for postore
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't read your website, but did want to say that whatever worked for you, will only work as long as you continue to do the exercises regularly. My BIL used a digerydoo for several years. It 'eliminated' his sleep apnea (subclinical) and he didn't have close neighbors to annoy. However, after a serious injury, he was no longer able use the digerydoo. His apnea returned. The doc at the VA recommended he first try raising the head of his bed. Snoring was eliminated and continues to be eliminated, so they are considering replacing the bed with a Sleep number bed with a head raise feature. This kind of stuff only works with MILD apnea. If you have anything more than that, it is simply a stopgap (and sometimes a very expensive one) to a cpap machine. Quite a few folks who have gone the dental appliance way have ended up getting TMJ and most medical insurance in the US does not pay for treatment for TMJ (even from a car crash). I applaud you for including your option for possibly delaying using a cpap machine, but you should ALSO point out these disadvantages so someone can make their own decision with ample information.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 382 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 355 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.