Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] jt80 Therapy Thread
jt80 Therapy Thread
Diagnosed as mild OSA, with 9 AHI on my side, and 36 AHI on my back, but I mostly sleep on my side so 9 overall.

Still on my first week, getting used to the unit.

My main problem so far is that it's not recording much on the SD card. I wore it 6+ hours the night before last, but it only recorded 6 minutes. The night before that I wore it 5 hours, and the session in OSCAR is only 50 minutes. This doesn't match what the front panel says for usage.

But last night it recorded the full time I had the mask on, in 3 sessions. 1 hour before actual sleep as I'm still getting used to the mask. 3 hours until I started having issue with the mask. I kept it off for a little over an hour, then about 4 hours with it back on.

The only change I've made so far is to put the min pressure from 4 to 6, and then set manual humidity to 5. I'd prefer even more humidity, but 6 causes rainout. Dry mouth is for sure an issue for me right now.

It seems to be controlling my events, as far as I can tell.

1. Advice on therapy changes for settings?
2. How can I prevent rainout to get the humidity higher to prevent dry mouth?
3. How can I be sure the SD card is recording sessions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: jt80 Therapy Thread
All those leaks can be disturbing to the sleep. And it can cause dry mouth. Turn down your Pressure Max. Try at 16. Then you may find it is still too high. Don't be afraid to experiment. There are various hose coverings available that a lot of people seem to like. It can help with the moisture and it can help with noise problems if the hose is dragging across a firm surface. As for the SD card, I have no help other than to check it daily, and if it continues to give a problem, post back. I've been on PAP equipment for 5 years now, and have found it to be very experimental to see what works. My doctor has not made suggestions, and the DME has not made suggestions. It's like they give you the equipment and what they don't say is "you're on your own kid".
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to give up on tinkering with the humidity settings. Even at a level that left my face wet, I still get Dry mouth. So now I just went back to auto temp/humidity.

Unfortunately, my remaining issue is that I'm getting sores around my lower lip and corners of my nose from the Evora mask. I can do about 6 hours until I can't take it any more.

I'd tried trimming my beard shorter, and that was a terrible decision. I guess I'm just waiting on things to grow out again.
Post Reply Post Reply
So it looks like it's working, my AHI is below 1.

But when I zoom in I still see these events. I'm not too worried about them, but can someone explain what I'm seeing here?

It kinda looks like pressure ramps up, then RERA (pressure woke me?), then a CA, then a H event all in a row. What does all that mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
@jaytee80

Leaks are your primary concern at this time. With leaks like that no amount of humidification will keep you from getting dry mouth. You really can't rely on any data you are getting to make therapy decisions until you get the leaks under control.

Good luck, keep at it, that's how we get good at it!  
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2023, 05:03 PM)Sleepy Quixote Wrote: @jaytee80

Leaks are your primary concern at this time. With leaks like that no amount of humidification will keep you from getting dry mouth. You really can't rely on any data you are getting to make therapy decisions until you get the leaks under control.

Good luck, keep at it, that's how we get good at it!  

What should the leak rate target be? Some nights it doesn't get into LL land, but I think hovers just below.
Post Reply Post Reply
@jaytee80

The target should be zero. LOL! to be realistic if you can get your 95% below 4.00 would be a good target, then when you get there try to beat that on the regular.

Always remember, the lower your leak rate, the lower the need for humidification, less need to keep that tub full, less need to worry about rain out, less hassle all the way around, the biggest bonus is improved efficacy of the treatment you receive from the machine and better numbers to make treatment decisions on.

Leaks first, positional apnea next, dial in and fine tune settings and find the balance between peak performance and comfort to finish.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure 0 leak rate is possible with an Evora full face. It has giant vents in front that are pretty significant. I couldn't pass the leak check without covering the vents.

Last night the leak rate was up to like 34/L a couple of times (I accidentally pulled the hose off the mask), but then the screen said my seal was great all night last night. Go figure. Average was like 18/L.

The leaks are positional as well. I think on my right side is where leaking is the worst. I suppose I could try a CPAP pillow to help with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fighting leaks is going to be pretty difficult for me. The shape of my nose and constant congestion/allergies mean I can barely get any air through. I may require surgery to open things up there.

I tried on a ton of full face masks at the store, and the only one that would seal at all was the Evora. Most leaked like crazy around the bridge of my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I moved down a size on the Evora. It's less comfortable around the mouth, but less leaky around the nose. Leak rate is now much better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dalemazkour - Therapy Help Dalemazkour 29 598 9 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Therapy Beginner Help papercupprincess 7 173 2 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 79 1,783 Today, 02:32 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 10 405 Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  stanleyv28 - Therapy Assistance stanleyv28 23 475 Yesterday, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,968 364,503 04-26-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: btreger
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 87 1,880 04-25-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.