Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble adjusting to first CPAP - assistance appreciated
Trouble adjusting to first CPAP - assistance appreciated
So I've had my cpap with a humidifier for over 6 months (go through weeks of not using it and then trying it again) and I still can't wear it the whole night.  I feel like there are two main issues:
1. I feel like it's difficult to breathe out which makes it feel difficult to breathe, and this can cause me to panic. 
2. My nose and snot get dried out after a few hours and it wakes me up because I can't breathe.  I've tried the saline gel stray to see if that would solve the problem, but no luck.  I have also played around with the humidifier settings, also without luck.

My sleep apnea is minor.... I had all kinds of weird things going on with my sleep potentially due to other medications I'm on, so my sleep dr. thought a cpap might be the easiest thing to change.  But I'm about to call it quits if I can't get this to work for me.

Thanks.
Becky
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trouble adjusting to first CPAP - assistance appreciated
Becky welcome to Apnea Board,

I'd like to suggest you download OSCAR the free report tool that can show you and us what is happening during PAP usage overnight. You have an AirSense 10 of some sort.

Can you verify the model by telling us what it says on the lower right front in metallic letters on your PAP? If it's AutoSet, I'd suggest your Min. pressure should be at least 7 and I'll also say try the comfort setting EPR at 3 full time. EPR is exhale pressure relief and it's going to enhance comfort, probably by a dramatic step upwards.

You can also get your free copy of the clinical manual at the top of the forum page called CPAP setup manual. Match your PAPs model name to the list. It explains your settings and how to access the clinical menu, which can be done via holding Dial and Home in for about 5 seconds.

Lastly, are you using a humidifier with your PAP? This can also help increase the comfort level.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,664 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 295 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 149 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 204 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 467 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,865 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.