Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trouble keeping my mouth closed
RE: Trouble keeping my mouth closed
(10-08-2017, 12:29 PM)Kryogen Wrote: where do you get the collars from?

You can Google search for it typically. Probably it will say Amazon or maybe some other online stores.

As for the mask and choice, I didn't try other mask types other than FFM. I had a particularly difficult open mouth situation, er that is while I'm sleeping. I didn't want to add in chin strap, tape, glue, staples, etc. It just made sense to me just pass GO and collect the FFM and get it going. Yes we each are individuals, so YMMV. The goal is the same for each of us; get the xPAP therapy and equipment that works for you.

Dave B.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that a FFM is not a failure. i  am also unable to keep my mouth shut with a nasal mask and have to tape if I use one (Swift FX for Her).

It's pointless to wish you could just put the nasal mask on and go to sleep "like normal people".  If you're like me, you have to accept that your normal is having your mouth flop open.  That is not a failure.  It's just how you are.

I finally found a FFM mask that I can tolerate; it has the best of both worlds with a nasal pillow-like interface with the nose, and covering the mouth.  That mask is the Amara View, and it's the closest thing I've found to be able to just put it on and go to sleep like a "normal" person.  I still wear a Releaf neck collar which keeps my jaw shut, though.

Keep searching.  You'll find what works for you, and the technology is advancing all  the time! I searched since 2007!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I got mine from a UK online shop called the 'The complete care shop'. Have read others ordering from Amazon. Just google soft cervical collars and you would find an outfit close to you.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Collars are sold at almost any pharmacy. All you need is the cheap foam kind. Look where the crutches and braces are.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As a new user i thought I would also chip in, I was prescribed with a FFM from the start and yes it was difficult (still is now and then) but it does get easier. The mask primer from Bonjour is great and really helped me as I was over tightening the mask.

I have tried the Quattro FX and Amara and I have also tried the P10 nasal pillows. The nasal pillows are just a none starter, I tried chin straps, taping and a collar but decided with all that paraphernalia I was just better with a FFM. I am now a side sleeper and have found that having the mask (quattro FX) looser is better for me, it leaks if I sit up but when I rest my head on the pillow it seals well, go figure!. It seems strange to have it loose but it works.

Everyone has a different opinion and what works for one may not work for another, for example some love the amara but I didn't get on with it at all, some love the pillows and I can see that they are comfy if used on their own but it really is a case of try and see how it works for you.

HTH
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2017, 01:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Collars are sold at almost any pharmacy. All  you need is the cheap foam kind. Look where the crutches and braces are.

OK thanks. Why is it that I didn't know that? That gives me 2 local choices then for this SCC.
Dave B
Coffee still waiting on coffee to kick in I'm guessing...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2017, 08:42 AM)Swisssleeper Wrote: As a new user i thought I would also chip in, I was prescribed with a FFM from the start and yes it was difficult (still is now and then) but it does get easier. The mask primer from Bonjour is great and really helped me as I was over tightening the mask.

I have tried the Quattro FX and Amara and I have also tried the P10 nasal pillows. The nasal pillows are just a none starter, I tried chin straps, taping and a collar but decided with all that paraphernalia I was just better with a FFM. I am now a side sleeper and have found that having the mask (quattro FX) looser is better for me, it leaks if I sit up but when I rest my head on the pillow it seals well, go figure!. It seems strange to have it loose but it works.

Everyone has a different opinion and what works for one may not work for another, for example some love the amara but I didn't get on with it at all, some love the pillows and I can see that they are comfy if used on their own but it really is a case of try and see how it works for you.

HTH

I think this can be referred to as YMMV AKA your mileage may vary. Shorthand for everyone is different and your results may not be the same as another by doing the same thing.

Oh, sorry, my lawyer just told me that user OMMOHY has trademarked YMMV and that I cannot use YMMV and if I do I'll be in trouble...good day and remember YMMV. 

Loco  lots-o-coffee Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 354 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,857 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.