Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying CPAP again
RE: Trying CPAP again
First night with the new machine.  I started around 8:30, had a few restarts trying to get the EPR adjusted and everything fit correctly, and probably fell asleep around 9:30ish.  I woke up around 3 with a terrible dry mouth, but kept the mask on until around 5.  I may bump the humidity up a bit for tonight.

Screen captures attached.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great results! You are actually using EPR 3, so your median pressure was 9.76*6.76, and your 95% and maximum (99%) pressure are at the maximum pressure setting. It's worth noting you had no obstructive events, and your pressure is moving upward due to flow limitations. I would not suggest any changes to your settings except Ramp. You are starting at a pressure of 4.0 for 30 minutes, and I'm going to guess you feel air-starved. I would either turn off ramp or start at a pressure of 7.0 in Auto ramp. This will give you the full feeling of EPR during your ramp and should be much more comfortable, and ramp will automatically end when it detects a sleep breathing pattern.

This is perfect. Keep up the good work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on the restart! You seem to have mask fit and leak prevention mastered, and your AHI is enviable. How are you feeling today?

If you continue to be awakened by dry mouth, you might consider a chin strap or neck collar to help you keep your mouth closed, or Xylimelts to stimulate saliva production. I haven’t used them, but from other posts I’ve learned they stick to your gums and thus can be safely used while you sleep.

I imagine others will be along to offer expertise, perhaps with thoughts about the period of significant flow limitations that your charts show. But meanwhile, all my best wishes for your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the inputs. I'll try adjusting the ramp settings and see how that works through the weekend.

I tried the Airfit F30 mask last night to see how it fit. It seemed like I could never get the nose opening just right, so my nose felt blocked all night. I may try the Dreamwear mask this weekend since I don't think it has that center strip in the nose hole.

I'm a little tired today, but that may be because I've been awake off and on since 3am.

I am glad to see the low AHI compared to 31.4 at the sleep center. But I attribute a lot of that to being forced to sleep on my back instead of my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the good results.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KrisGarner,
It sounds like you are off to a good start.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Night #2 
Dreamwear full-face mask tonight instead of the Airfit.  Ramp pressure was changed to 7.0 and set to Auto, so I'm not sure why it still shows 45 minutes.

I did have to trim the charts down to just show last night.  I spent about 30 minutes in bed yesterday afternoon trying on different sized masks in the Dreamwear kit and making sure I didn't get any leaks in position.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks great! How are you feeling today?
Post Reply Post Reply
Night #3
I think I may need to turn the humidification back to auto.  We got some rain here for the past few days and the humidity is up.  I woke up a couple times last night with water dripping out of some part of the mask onto my face.

I'm still pretty tired, but maybe that's just adjusting to the new machine and mask.

Something I forgot to put in my original post - I am taking 10mg of melatonin and 100mg of Trazodone for insomnia.  Could that be affecting my restfulness?  I am thinking that maybe my insomnia wasn't really insomnia, but just not getting good sleep because of the OSA. Do I need to try weaning myself off? I go back to my regular doctor on Tuesday and I may ask him the same question.
Post Reply Post Reply
Terrific charts! About feeling rested—for some people, it starts right away, and for others it’s more gradual. And about Trazodone—a very good question for your doctor. Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.