Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two Installs on same PC?
Two Installs on same PC?
I am getting a new puter (my nephew is building it). My laptop runs the beta version of OSCAR) and my desktop has the released version. But I don't often remember to use the laptop for this.

My new puter will be a gaming one and I'll have plenty of room.

Is it possible to have two OSCARs installed at the same time? Not running at same time, just installed? I'd have to change the install directory on one of them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two Installs on same PC?
idk about 2 of the same version but I have 3 or 4 beta versions that can run simultaneously.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2019, 03:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I am getting a new puter (my nephew is building it). My laptop runs the beta version of OSCAR) and my desktop has the released version. But I don't often remember to use the laptop for this.

My new puter will be a gaming one and I'll have plenty of room.

Is it possible to have two OSCARs installed at the same time? Not running at same time, just installed? I'd have to change the install directory on one of them.

Is it possible to install more than one copy of OSCAR?  Certainly, but whether that is the best solution to your problem depends on the problem you are trying to solve.

Are you trying to run Release and Test versions of OSCAR on the same computer?  If so, the next release of OSCAR handles that natively, with the Beta or Test version being installed in a different directory than the Release version.  You will need a separate database for the test and release versions; again that will be handled natively with OSCAR_Data for the release version and OSCAR_Data-test for the test version. You can override those directory names at installation if you wish.

The test database may not be suitable for working with OSCAR-1.0.1 as some file formats are updated in the next version.  So you will want to use separate databases with Oscar 1.0.1-r1 and a newer test or beta version.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Yes, that's what I wanted to know. I won't be running them at the same time, just both installed on same puter.

I look forward to the next release!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2019, 05:56 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: The test database may not be suitable for working with OSCAR-1.0.1 as some file formats are updated in the next version.  So you will want to use separate databases with Oscar 1.0.1-r1 and a newer test or beta version.

Which file formats are updated?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2019, 12:45 AM)mjphyi Wrote: Which file formats are updated?

Some of the files that constitute the OSCAR "database" may be changed, usually a matter of additional or changed fields.  These are all internal files built during importing or using OSCAR. In the Profiles directory itself, the exact contents of the *.shg and and *.cache files have been changed.  In each profile, the summary files may change.  OSCAR will update any files automatically, and you can always rebuild CPAP data in a profile to create files that the version of OSCAR you are running uses.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2019, 01:12 AM)GuyScharf Wrote:
(12-31-2019, 12:45 AM)mjphyi Wrote: Which file formats are updated?

Some of the files that constitute the OSCAR "database" may be changed, usually a matter of additional or changed fields.  These are all internal files built during importing or using OSCAR. In the Profiles directory itself, the exact contents of the *.shg and and *.cache files have been changed.  In each profile, the summary files may change.  OSCAR will update any files automatically, and you can always rebuild CPAP data in a profile to create files that the version of OSCAR you are running uses.
Thanks. I'm just doing a little planning on my backup strategy. 
In the immediate future, will this affect all machine brands, or is this mostly a facet of the current Respironics work?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2019, 02:00 AM)mjphyi Wrote: Thanks. I'm just doing a little planning on my backup strategy. 
In the immediate future, will this affect all machine brands, or is this mostly a facet of the current Respironics work?

A slight change in format is not unusual and is relatively transparent to the user.  I know the version number of some formats is 18 or more (although only 1 or 2 of those were in OSCAR's history; most were in SleepyHead's).

I know I have made changes that affect files in the Profiles directory and that directory is for all brands.  The current Respironics work definitely affects the files in directories for that machine. If I recall correctly, ResMed machine directories had changes too, but that may have been before or after OSCAR 1.0.1 was released.

Fior backup strategy, I just backup the entire OSCAR_Data directory.  I have multiple backup strategies -- online (CrashPlan), image (Acronis), and file copy (SyncBack Pro).  Because of the huge number of files in the Profile machine directories, I don't back the files up online.  In the event of total data loss, I always have the SD cards and could rebuild my data from there on a new system.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Any successful PrismaTS installs out there? hopski 10 3,888 10-19-2022, 08:39 AM
Last Post: marq104
  Oscar installs on Centos 7.6 fredex 2 1,008 05-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sleepy Head installs in Spanish only FriedEagle 9 2,460 12-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Last Post: FriedEagle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.