Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two days on C-PAP, so far not good - Newly diagnosed. Problems w/mask, etc
Two days on C-PAP, so far not good - Newly diagnosed. Problems w/mask, etc
[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

Quote:DMBLover371 Wrote:
Jul 22 2006, 02:08 PM Post #1

So here's my story. I'm a 22 year old who has been struggling with sleep problems for 4 years. I've been on a whole rainbow of medications (Lunesta, Ambien, Xanax, etc) and they all made me zombie-like the next day...even though they put me to sleep okay, but I still woke up tired. So I stopped taking all medications and went to a sleep doctor. It was revealed that I don't have anxiety. Most of the time I have trouble falling back to sleep during the night and I just don't wake up feeling refreshed. He suggested doing the sleep restriction and bed restriction techniques...which only made me even more tired. Next, he suggested exercise. I know exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Okay, so I'm STILL tired. He then had me come in for an overnight sleep study at the sleep lab. It was revealed that I have a very mild case of sleep apnea (5.6 average episodes per so and so minutes). I did an overnight study at the lab again using the REMStar Plus M Series with C-Flex C-Pap machine. My mask is a lite nose mask with head gear. In the sleep lab, it took me a while to fall asleep with this thing. It was uncomfortable and I kept waking up with a dry mouth. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night. So last night was the other night I used it at home. I went to bed at 11 and used it until about 3am when it started hurting my face and preventing me from sleeping (although I think I managed to get some stage 1 sleep). The rest of the night I sleep without it and I slept adequately. My mom finally woke me up at 1:45p because she was worried about me. I'm alright today, but still don't feel rested (like every morning when I wake up).

I know that I'm just starting out and I need to get used to the machine. But does anyone else have difficulty with this C-Pap machine and how so?? It seems to be bruising my face and it's leaving sores on the top of my nose. I just want to be able to experience stage 3 and 4 sleep so badly!!! Does this story sound familiar to anyone, and can you answer my questions please?

Quote:FTLOSM Wrote:
Jul 22 2006, 03:17 PM Post #2

It could be a different mask will work better for you, my first mask was the gel mask and it was heavy and i didnt like it, i then got a mirage 2 its so much lighter and nicer! The dry mouth thing i had too had to call for a chin strap and that has fixed it! I also have a heated humidifier on my cpap too btw. I use a remstar proM with clflex on 3 btw.

But overall it did take a few weeks to get used to my cpap and to ask around and try a few new things, chinstrap helped and heated humidifier helped with my dry mouth, as for the pain you feel it sure might be the wrong mask for ya (dont give up) or maybe your strapping it on a bit too tight? I have put mine on a bit too tight and woke up pulling it off and rubbing my face a few mins (a bit sore from it).

See if a strap will help and or a humidifier (for me neated helped cuz normal was too cold on my face). And experiment with a few naps by loosining the mask a bit to the point where it stays on yet isn't hurting, if after a few more days you still arent taking well to the mask i would contact your supplier and ask for alternative mask options.

I do know it takes everyone different amounts of time, for me almost 3 weeks and constantly going in for chin strap, then for heated humidifier, etc then of course getting used to cpap on my face, oh i also put my tube over the back of my headboard vs feeding into the bed from the side of bed, that way my arms dont get in the way when i roll over and pull it off the night stand.

Bill

Quote:SuperSleeper Wrote:
Jul 22 2006, 04:15 PM Post #3

Hi DMBLover371 and welcome to Apnea Board!

Bill gave some pretty good advice there. My experience my first several nights (actually several weeks) was similar to your's. I didn't feel much better at all. Then slowly, probably over a period of several weeks of continued CPAP use (I have a Remstar Pro w/ Cflex like you), I found out that I wasn't as tired during the day and I was a whole lot more alert. It wasn't a "Gee wiz, I sure feel great" type of experience. The change was so slow that I almost didn't notice that I was getting better sleep.

It didn't happen overnight. Getting used to CPAP takes quite a while, but it's worth the wait and the experimentation to find out the best mask for you and how to adjust it for the best night's sleep.

One other thing, is that I found out part of my problem was that I was adjusting the mask WAY to tight. I've heard that you're supposed to tighten them to where leaks stop, and don't go any tighter. If you're getting bruises, you have it way too tight.

I had dry mouth also... I tried the heated humifier that came with my CPAP and I really didn't like it, so I dealt with the dry mouth / slight sore throat for a while. It seemed to go away after a couple of weeks, for some reason, so I haven't used my humidifier since.

Take care!
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
http://www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

Change your own pressure - Get the Clinician Setup Manual for your CPAP here

Jul 22 2006, 04:23 PM Post #4

Also, some people get better results from the ResMed "Mirage Swift Nasal Pillows" system for their mask.

I've been using it for quite a while and I love it. It might help you. My review of the mask is here:

Review of Mirage Swift Mask

It's one of those masks that people either love or hate. But I love it, so I use it!
SuperSleeper

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

Quote:ConnCarl Wrote:
Jul 22 2006, 10:06 PM Post #5

Hey, Supe! Nice to see you posting.

Carl
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred." - Superchicken

Quote:DMBLover371 Wrote:
Jul 23 2006, 08:19 AM Post #6

Thank you to all who replied! You gave me a lot of good suggestions. Last night was the same as the night before...my strap would become too tight and I would have to take the mask off during the night. I tried loosening it and it seemed to help, but it's still quite awkward. I turn the humidifier on 2- which is what the doctor recommended for me. I still wake up with a dry mouth and slight sore throat.

If this mask doesn't work for me within the next week, I'm going to look into another mask. The Mirage Swft Nasal Pillows (what supersleeper recommended) sounds like a good option. Quick question though...do they make your nose sore? I may even try the chin strap (what FTLOSM recommended).

I really hope this C-PAP route works out for me. I've heard people say that they sleep so much better with their machine...and I really want to be one of those people! I'll give my mask a few more nights and then I'll let you guys know what I'm going to do.

Thanks!!!

Jul 23 2006, 10:48 AM Post #7

Quote:ConnCarl
Jul 22 2006, 11:06 PM
Hey, Supe! Nice to see you posting.

Carl

Thanks Carl. I stop by from time to time, but it seems I just don't have time to post much. This weekend I've got some free time, so I'm surfin' around.
SuperSleeper

DONATE to Apnea Board

Jul 23 2006, 10:53 AM Post #8

Quote:DMBLover371
Jul 23 2006, 09:19 AM
Quick question though...do they make your nose sore? I may even try the chin strap (what FTLOSM recommended).
Thanks!!!

Not really. If you have sensitive "nose-holes", I guess it might, but my nose-holes are pretty sturdy. :lol:

The only thing my wife notices is that in the morning, my nose-holes are slightly enlarged after a night of wearing the mask. But that goes away after about 10 minutes after I take the mask off.

I like the mask because I can read / watch TV or whatever and turn over on my side without worrying that the mask will be knocked off my face.

Let us know how it goes, but don't quit too early on CPAP.. this takes time to get right, but it's worth it.
SuperSleeper

DONATE to Apnea Board

Quote:carolmacd wrote:
Jul 25 2006, 06:57 PM Post #9

I use a nasal aire mask.....It did take me a couple of weeks to get used to it, but I feel so much better now...it's like night and day. Hang in there!

Quote:kevin wrote:
Aug 30 2006, 10:46 PM Post #10

It takes time.

Try different masks but don't give up on one until you've used it for 3-4 weeks.

Humidifier helps a lot with dryness but if you have pillows (which are great) your actual nostrils get kind of bypassed by the pillows so though very humidified the actual nostrils can still be dry. I adjusted to this quickly.

Too tight masks is not good and nasal pillows will allow you to have the straps looser. As I've seen elsewhere here, tighten to no leaks and no further.

I would nod off at work every day repeatedly and this has all gone away. Takes some time but I was amazed how wildly I was dreaming the first couple days having not dreamed at all for several years before starting CPAP treatment. This tailed off after a few days.

Another thought, I was unable to get through the second titration sleep study as with the nasal mask on I could not sleep. Insurance would not pay for the CPAP machine until they had a study which showed CPAP would fix the problem. I could not sleep with the nasal mask on my face so no study, no machine.

I then bought myself a Mirage Swift Nasal Pillow mask and slept with it on my head without a machine for 4 weeks. This ended up breaking me in nicely. I had some minor problems with sores but these went a way in a week or so. At 4 weeks, my mask and I went back for the follow up study and the only difference then was the pressure. This time I had no problems at all sleeping and insurance company is now quite happy.

One other thing I'll throw in, I've only used Remstar machines with CFlex and it rocks. The respiratory therapist told me about CFlex and how it would take the pressure down on your exhale and she set it on the middle setting. I'm an engineer and told her I'd be shocked if this feature worked well. Boy was I wrong. It is a fantastic feature and works great. When I wake up in the morning I feel almost no pressure on exhale at all. I've never used a machine without it except at the sleep study. I can't imagine using a machine without this feature.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two days on C-PAP, so far not good...; Newly diagnosed. Problems w/mask, etc
All great advice so far. I think that you have two problems to solve. Is your throat sore from dry air rushing down it with no humidifiaction or is your mouth opening and thus snoring and defeating the CPAP therapy, maybe even waking you up. The other question that needs answering is whether or not your mask is too tight, doesn't fit you, or the wrong type. My experience has shown that nasal pillows only need to touch your nostrils, but not rammed up there. The tighter you pull the more distorted the pillows become and the seal fails. Try loosening the mask and positioning the hose under the covers so that it pushes gently up towards your face. The covers and hose positioned this way stops the pulling that the weight of the hose excerpts on the mask while at the same time providing a little gentle pressure so that you feel like the pillows will stay in place. You may want to consider a slightly different mask has such as the Respironics Optilife. I use this mask because it has a strap that goes under your chin but still has headgear that isn't too heavy. The chin strap isn't a true chin strap, but rather an alignment mechanisim for proper nasal pillow positioning. The strap's location across the chin seems to keep my mouth shut without any pressure at all. Nasal lubricating gel is also helpful at reducing dryness both in the nose and throat. Simply apply some gel to a cotton swab and run the swab around the inside of the nostrils. This really helps me.

I hope that this may help. Keep trying; It's well worth the effort.......Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 289 8 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 51 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 198 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.