Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS-- Best Machine? Help a newbie!
UARS-- Best Machine? Help a newbie!
After years of unrefreshing sleep, severe TMJ/chronic pain and a fibro label, I've finally been given a diagnosis of UARS. Sleep study was just below AHI threshold but clinical presentation and exam of throat revealed I have very little space to breathe. My oxygen also goes down to 88-75% at points during the night. 

Long story short-- I need help! I do not have a formal diagnosis to go through insurance due to my sleep study's results so I am going to buy a CPAP out of pocket and use an app to monitor. What machine do you recommend? Would Bipap be better? 

I turned down a dentist's offer for a 2k MAD and want to prioritize my TMJ issues so nothing that will aggravate my jaw. 

Any advice welcome! Thank you in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS-- Best Machine? Help a newbie!
UARS is restrictive, and the best machine is the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto. Second choice is Airsense 10 Autoset. Check out Supplier #33 and Supplier #2 for prices. Read the Dr Krakow, UARS wiki on why bilevel is your solution. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ome_(UARS)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her? Is that the same as your second recommendation?
Post Reply Post Reply
The AutoSet for her is slightly preferable to the regular AutoSet but the VAuto is the best. If you knew that you only needed 3 cwp of pressure support to treat your UARS then either AutoSet would be fine, but more than that requires the VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I am doing this without a doctor's supervision, I do not know what pressure support I will need. Does it make sense to start with autoset for her? Or should I just jump right to Vauto? Is the autoset for her easier to program?
Post Reply Post Reply
Both are easy.

Download OSCAR post with daily graphs and we can help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2019, 11:37 AM)jacksonm6 Wrote: Since I am doing this without a doctor's supervision, I do not know what pressure support I will need. Does it make sense to start with autoset for her? Or should I just jump right to Vauto? Is the autoset for her easier to program?

The VAuto is more flexible but costs more. The AutoSet costs less but you might end up buying the VAuto anyway which would make it more expensive all around. Kind of up to you which way you want to go. 

Personally I noticed a material difference going from 3 cwp on the AutoSet to 4 cwp on the VAuto. Some people are satisfied with the AutoSet. The flow limitations/UARS info from Dr Krakow indicates that his practice finds many people benefit from 5-6 cwp pressure support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your help. I am ready to purchase from secondwind... but can someone help clarify what is the difference between the S, ST and Auto version?? They all look like the same model to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think according to this wiki article, the VAuto would be the best choice for UARS, unless you have another medical condition as listed below, like COPD, or other respiratory conditions.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...AP_-_BIPAP
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2019, 04:47 PM)jacksonm6 Wrote: Thanks for all your help. I am ready to purchase from secondwind... but can someone help clarify what is the difference between the S, ST and Auto version?? They all look like the same model to me.
The S, ST and Vauto are all bielevel VPAP machines.  The S is the least expensive, and provides fixed IPAP and EPAP pressures.  This can be effective for UARS as you can set EPAP fairly low and by raising IPAP, you increase the pressure support.   The Vauto is the best bilevel for treating obstructive apnea and flow limitation.  It operates like an Auto -CPAP (Autoset), and has automatic increases and deccrease of pressure .  You set the minimum EPAP and maximum IPAP and a pressure support.  The ST means Spontaneous/timed, and means this machine has the ability to switch to IPAP to maintain a breath rate.  It is intended for treatment of COPD, Obesity hypoventilation and neuromuscular pulmonary insufficiency.  This is NOT what you need.  The S and Vauto are priced about $150 higher for the Vauto.  If you can afford it, get the Vauto.  We can make either one work for your needs, the Vauto will just be easier.

You might want to order the Setup manual for the VPAP S and Vauto to compare the features. They are more similar than different. The Vauto includes an S-mode if you need it, but the VPAP-S does not have a Vauto mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 70 5 minutes ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 961 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.