Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS, PAP-choise for paradoxical breathing
UARS, PAP-choise for paradoxical breathing
Tl;dr what machine is best for UARS, where paradoxical bresthing is very present? 

Hi!

I'm new here, recently diagnosed with UARS. I have had an ME-diagnose for 10 yeard, and are now thinking most of my ME-symptoms actually are UARS-symptoms. I am on 100% disability, bed bound for around 15-20 hrs a day. I also work a few hours a day (in Norway working on disability is allowed and encouraged). 

I am currently trying to get help on the Norwegian Welfare, but have currently not succeeded. My ENT gave me a sleep study, said "this is serious, you need a CPAP", so he referred e to another clinic. They said "yes you need CPAP, but your ahi is <5, so we cannot give you one" then gave me the number of a private clinic, where I am now currently renting a ResMed Airsense 10, and are feeling better than I have in years. I need less rest, feel better during the day, and can handle more. I also sleep better, when the mask or machine doesn't wake me up. I now want to buy my own machine, and are wondering if I should stick with airsense or change.

A few thread marks the resmed aircurve as the best for uars. Would this still be the case for paradoxical breathing? 

I spend 60-90% of my nights in paradoxical breathing, according to my three noxt3 studies. I have not seen anyone with those levels before, and I am not sure of the relevance. I just know it means that my body is working hard to breathe. I have around 25-30% flow limitation and about the same time in snoring. These things are what needs correcting. I have used the Airsense 10 since may 20.th. It avarages on around 10 in preassure on autoset. I have not activated the EPR. I tried, but the noise level rose, and I am sensitive to about everything. (heightened nervous system, anyone?) I currently use the p20 mask, and wake up every few hrs due to leaks, discomfort or hose noise. Have a f20mask, but the preassure on my sinuses and nose got to high for comfort. Have just ordered a p30i to see if that will keep me from waking so often.

Is the aircurve at same noise level as airsense on bi-pap?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS, PAP-choise for paradoxical breathing
Pg 2 of sleep report. Sorry, I don't get to add more files from my phone

Pg 3 of sleep report

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome to the club.

One of your comments, the part about flow limits being high, this would be a good reason by itself to think about changing to the ResMed VAuto. It's got more pressure support than the AutoSet's EPR limit of 3. EPR is really PS, just with that limited 3 range and in full steps (1, 2, or 3) where the VAuto can change PS in more fine steps of 0.2. So it's more capable, and it'll likely be better for your other needs due to the same higher range of PS.

Mask... Look at a Fisher and Paykel Vitera full face if you want a replacement for your F20.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

I am going to try out the p30i to see if this is better for me. Then I'll look into that mask you recommended. 

Do you know if the noise level is as high on the airCurve as the airsens with the EPR activated?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not that I've measured, but I think the noise is similar.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 44 1,086 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 933 5 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 155 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 617 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.