Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] UARS, data interpretation OSCAR, what to do?
RE: UARS, data interpretation OSCAR, what to do?
I'm happy for your current success
Out of curiosity, what are your before and after numbers?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2021, 11:29 PM)KingKongBingBong Wrote: Lol @ all the people who said MMA wouldn't be curative despite several meta-analysis demonstrating it is. Well I got the surgery and LIFE IS GOOD! I can now breathe not only during the night but the day too

f*** cpap for life

I don't think anyone claimed it wouldn't help, most just warned that surgery is permanent, doesn't always help, sometimes makes things worse and that you need to be 100% sure of what the issue is before thinking surgery will help. This is a CPAP forum not a MMA surgery forum and you didn't post CT/MRI views, measurements etc for a person with that knowledge (which none of us have) to be able to decide if MMA would work for you so of course we were all hesitant in recommending it. 

Glad it worked out but you have to be careful suggesting surgery and assuming it will be curative. It only helps a subset of cases and most of us have seen more people that have suffered issues from surgeries and still have to use PAP than people that have found complete success. 

Out of curiosity was it an ENT, orthodontist or some other type of doctor that determined you should have MMA done?
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on your success. However, no matter what it is, surgery, PAP, etc. it's still only therapy. Apnea has zero cure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2021, 01:18 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Congrats on your success. However, no matter what it is, surgery, PAP, etc. it's still only therapy. Apnea has zero cure.

My RDI < 5 from over 30, how is that not a cure?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2021, 01:01 PM)Geer1 Wrote: I don't think anyone claimed it wouldn't help, most just warned that surgery is permanent, doesn't always help, sometimes makes things worse and that you need to be 100% sure of what the issue is before thinking surgery will help. This is a CPAP forum not a MMA surgery forum and you didn't post CT/MRI views, measurements etc for a person with that knowledge (which none of us have) to be able to decide if MMA would work for you so of course we were all hesitant in recommending it. 

Glad it worked out but you have to be careful suggesting surgery and assuming it will be curative. It only helps a subset of cases and most of us have seen more people that have suffered issues from surgeries and still have to use PAP than people that have found complete success. 

Out of curiosity was it an ENT, orthodontist or some other type of doctor that determined you should have MMA done?

There weren't any surgeons in my country who were wiling to perform on me so I had to fly overseas. I basically determined it myself, as I am young and low bf%.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2021, 03:19 AM)KingKongBingBong Wrote: My RDI < 5 from over 30, how is that not a cure?

Then Stop using your CPAP.  CPAP is a therapy, NOT a cure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2021, 03:19 AM)KingKongBingBong Wrote: There weren't any surgeons in my country who were wiling to perform on me so I had to fly overseas. I basically determined it myself, as I am young and low bf%.

I searched a little and didn't see much for options in my area either (not that I need it was just curious). Where did you end up having it done? Did you get imaging or anything that made the surgeon certain it would help you? 

Not interested in getting this done myself but I am interested in knowing more about it to determine if it is ever worth recommending to others. 

I think apnea/UARS can be improved to the point it doesn't cause symptoms and therefore isn't an issue anymore but only in rare cases where an obvious issue can be found and fixed. Since overall surgery success is low in most cases I understand why CPAP treatment is preferred and surgeries are considered a last chance.  

It will be interesting to see how this surgery effects you in the long term and if you may need to go back onto CPAP or some other treatment as you get older and soft tissue gets worse and respiratory capability declines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2021, 10:00 AM)Gideon Wrote: Then Stop using your CPAP.  CPAP is a therapy, NOT a cure.

Pretty sure he already did.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I meant about therapy versus cure is that the low Apnea will only exist as long as you use that therapy and as long as your condition remains as it is now otherwise. If anything changes, your self chosen surgery is probably no help.

To me, cure means permanent removal of the condition. This application of the word cure doesn't exist in any form when it comes to Apnea.

For the record, when my ASV therapy was doing well, I was averaging 2.5 AHI.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 76 2 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 51 9 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 965 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 171 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 66 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.